We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Vent: rubbish haircut and service with groupon

I'm livid and felt like a vent!

I bought a groupon voucher for £16 for the new trapeeze salon in reading. It claimed to be worth £62 and included 6 mins on the sunbed and a glass of bubbly. I turned down both these extras (naturally tanned and it was 10.30am!).

Overall the entire experience took 34 minutes - a minor miracle for blow drying thick long curly hair- it can take me 30 minutes just on the blow dry and indeed takes my usual lady 1hr+ (including cut). Anyway her next client turned up an she was obviously bored of me- saying that my hair was still damp because you are meant to leave curls to dry naturally:( well I'm now freezing cold with a wet back from my wet curls. I don't see how a professional salon can possibly expect to turn clients around in 30 minute slots- these guys are obviously overbooked.

I'm now left trying to rescue my hair in advance of a party tonight... Which I thought I was paying £16 for someone else to do.

Imagine if id wanted it straight- now i know that takes more than 30 minutes alone!
If you aim for the moon if you miss at least you will land among the stars!

Comments

  • butler_helen
    butler_helen Posts: 1,866 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Just to add- I did warn them of my long thick curls. Why oh why are groupon allowing their clients to overstretch themselves?!
    If you aim for the moon if you miss at least you will land among the stars!
  • marywooyeah
    marywooyeah Posts: 2,672 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think many people are sick of groupon Martin had a thing in the last newsletter about it, I've had rubbish service too and won't bother again. can you ring groupon themselves and complain? see if the salon is on any review sites and leave them an accurate review.
  • butler_helen
    butler_helen Posts: 1,866 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I think many people are sick of groupon Martin had a thing in the last newsletter about it, I've had rubbish service too and won't bother again. can you ring groupon themselves and complain? see if the salon is on any review sites and leave them an accurate review.

    Just looked up martins comments- I wholey agree with him. If I was getting a £16 haircut I'd have gone elsewhere and I bet they'd have dried it! It's a shame for the hairdressers as they are new and in a bad location so it won't be doing their custom much good.
    If you aim for the moon if you miss at least you will land among the stars!
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    If you google around groupon for a bit you see where companies that have signed up to the deal have had really bad problems meeting demand and how the terms of groupon essentially screw them up and force them to either 'short change' customers or go bankrupt - both are unpleasant choices, huh?

    Here's one of the ones I was thinking about, posie's cafe

    That's not me trying to defend the place that messed you about, just explaining why I wouldn't touch their deals myself - I think it's a bad deal for me and bad for the business offering it too.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • johnnyboyrebel
    johnnyboyrebel Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    Surely this is down to the salon in question not being up top scratch or overbooked. You cannot blame Groupon for this!
  • 987654
    987654 Posts: 367 Forumite
    I've used several Groupon vouchers & most of them have been good.

    You often have to book ahead due to the volume they are dealing with.

    My last one was a hairdressing one & has lead to me changing hairdresser as it was a great cut.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.