We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Gripe- TV licensing & digital changeover

124»

Comments

  • vyle
    vyle Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    But why should I have to replace perfectly good appliances before I actually have to ? The DSO was actually known about prior to 2000 which was when I replaced the VHS recorder as I remember discussing it with the Curry's salesman.

    There were no digital one available then though - at least not affordable and if I' d bought a digital flat screen in plenty of time it would have cost me an awful lot more than now given how they have come down in price.

    Indeed, that's true, but the digiboxes around 2005 (and presumably prior to that, too) to about 2008 largely supported RF modulation (i.e. sending the signal through the aerial cable rather than scart), a feature that's absent in most of the newer ones.

    Granted you couldn't have known that RF modulation would be removed in the current range of boxes, but again, it's not like you haven't had plenty of notice to get one.

    It's one of those odd phenomena, where the vast majority of my customers around the DSO in my area came in, completely ill prepared, with no idea about anything concerning the DSO, resented "having" to spend a !!!!tonne of money on changing their recorder, TV, recording media, cabling, etc all in one go, when a bit of planning would have meant they could have spread the cost and looked for bargains over the YEARS they've known about it.

    I've seen awesome hard drive/dvd recorders with freevie tuners in sales going for anything from £25 just to clear them, and they're only that low because of being superceded. If one knew they would have to eventually change their recorder, then such a purchase would be a wise investment, rather than leaving it until a week before the DSO and being bemused that the only examples of recorders left cost £200+
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 8,143 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Help.....I'm still hoping someone will help me out for suggestions about the 2 months licence fee that has been retained. I would like to write to 'someone'. Was told by the licensing department that the upgraded system wasn't done by them! No but they collect the money! in other words no point writing to them.
    I can live without the TV- always used to until I did studied with OU and then I needed one.
    If I really want to watch BBC i-player on broadband (which I might) I will not need a licence since you only need one if you are watching on any device as it is broadcast live.
    I am not griping about the changeover itself just my money being withheld!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24bags,43dogcoats, 2scrunchies, 10mitts, 6 bootees, 8spec cases, 2 A6notebooks, 59cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones,1 blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420total spend £5.Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

    2024:Sewn:59Doggy ds,52pyramids,18 bags,6spec cases,6lav.bags.
    Knits:6covers,4hats,10mitts,2 bootees.
    Crotchet:61angels, 229cards=453 £158.55profit!!!
    2025 3dduvets
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Esqui wrote: »
    Ah yes, I remember analog TV giving us a 100-odd channels and high-graphic interactive services...

    And wall to wall repeats of Top Gear across about 10 channels... and Quincy on the rest...
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Help.....I'm still hoping someone will help me out for suggestions about the 2 months licence fee that has been retained. I would like to write to 'someone'. Was told by the licensing department that the upgraded system wasn't done by them! No but they collect the money! in other words no point writing to them.
    I can live without the TV- always used to until I did studied with OU and then I needed one.
    If I really want to watch BBC i-player on broadband (which I might) I will not need a licence since you only need one if you are watching on any device as it is broadcast live.
    I am not griping about the changeover itself just my money being withheld!!

    I doubt there is much you can do about the refund. It's annoying but as you're dealing with a government agency and not a commercial company they really don't care about customer satisfaction. Therefore I think you may be disappointed.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.