We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Paypal creaming off donations to East Africa.
blinkythefish
Posts: 34 Forumite
So I had a spare £5 in my Paypal account and decided to donate it to the East Africa Crisis via the DEC website. Imagine how disgusted I was when it popped up with a note "Paypal charge us 55p to process this transaction, would you like to pay this fee for us?" OWTTE.
How disgusting, a company the size of Paypal living off frankly immoral earnings if ever I saw it.
How disgusting, a company the size of Paypal living off frankly immoral earnings if ever I saw it.
0
Comments
-
I think Just Giving do the same."If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair0
-
What's immoral about it?
It doesn't cost PayPal any less to process the payment than it would for them to process it for any other company.0 -
However they could choose not to add such a margin if they were feeling public spirited - 11% is quite a hefty chunk. Especially if this was cash already in the account - no credit card fees to MC or Visa, for instance,0
-
Paypal asked me recently did I want to contribute 1.00 on a transaction for the same crisis. It said in brackets that for this crisis they were forgoing any 5% charge and I believe this was the charity company itself that processes it and thats all it makes. How then can a charge of 55p be made on 5.00?
So the company normally may only take 5% but does that mean paypal take a percentage of that from the company anyhow?
Not worth contributing via paypal then but better by bank to bank free transfer.0 -
I think that if you pay the extra pound on another transaction PP do not take any fee from the donation.
That is because the cost to them of the credit card payment is covered by the original transaction.
If you make a payment direct to the charity PP would still be charged by the CC company and so cannot afford of forgo their fee (although they may forgo part of it).
Obviously this does not apply to payments from funds already held by PP but I would imagine transaction like that are in a very small minority.There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.0 -
What's immoral about it?
It doesn't cost PayPal any less to process the payment than it would for them to process it for any other company.
The costs to Paypal per transaction are far below the fees everyone pays so it would not be an unreasonable request for them to lower it to the actual cost. They milk everyone dry on every other transaction.
Paypal/eBay (the same people) are a joke. I look forward to the day that the dinosaurs of this world sack off ebay like everyone else did years ago. At first it was a novelty but now its just not needed with nearly any other selling channel a lot more rewarding for sellers or better for customers.0 -
There are settings in your ebay account so you can add your fav charities . i added a cat charity haworth. if i am feeling flush i add the odd £1 to them when prompted and paying for my ebay purchases.0
-
If I want to donate to charity, I'll do it directly. Not through some profit making company like that one eBay uses to add donations onto the end of purchases.0
-
Deleted_User wrote: »If I want to donate to charity, I'll do it directly. Not through some profit making company like that one eBay uses to add donations onto the end of purchases.
True, and on another note if I want to give to charity I will do without those guilt trip tv adverts and nutters stopping me on the street. Just leave people alone !!!!!!. "Just £5 a month...." For some people, it's a lot of f'in money! Look after yourself and people you actually know above starving kids in Africa and homeless dogs!:mad:0 -
johnnyboyrebel wrote: »True, and on another note if I want to give to charity I will do without those guilt trip tv adverts and nutters stopping me on the street. Just leave people alone !!!!!!. "Just £5 a month...." For some people, it's a lot of f'in money! Look after yourself and people you actually know above starving kids in Africa and homeless dogs!:mad:
Full of compassion then aren't you? Just ignore the starving kids of Africa and yes they'll go away. Your choice not to care about them, thank goodness not everyone shares your view
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards