PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think everyone does their place in the style of their era, and if they like it, they stick with it. Our house had the same owners for 40 years, so we're just now getting all the anaglypta out of the hallway!

Doubtless we'll look horribly 20-teens when we sell in about 20-30 years (for example, my husband loves painting things grey - the magnolia of now!).
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    cloo wrote: »
    I think everyone does their place in the style of their era, and if they like it, they stick with it. Our house had the same owners for 40 years, so we're just now getting all the anaglypta out of the hallway!

Doubtless we'll look horribly 20-teens when we sell in about 20-30 years (for example, my husband loves painting things grey - the magnolia of now!).

I can just imagine the "Have a look at this thread XXXVI" in 2050:

- My god, gloss kitchen, square toilets, artificial grass, laminate floors, how grannyish can you get????
    - Don't forgot the silly LED lights underneath the kitchen units
    - I know and what's with all those ridiculous wordy ornaments everywhere, 'soak' next to the bath', 'relax' hanging on the wall above the sofa, wonder what they hang above they loo?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Someone's clearing out a probate house a few doors down from us. The junk in the skip included a Bejam freezer. As (I have just learnt in another thread) Bejam were bought out 30 years ago, the appliance is at least that old.

I think old biddies do the place up and then decide it's perfect and never notice their surroundings ever again. This is the only way these fossilised interiors from 30 and 40 years ago can persist.

I don't think people don't notice their surroundings, I think that they find a style they like and don't necessarily feel the need to change it, just because fashions have changed.

I have an elderly relation whose house looks pretty old-fashioned in style. It is not because she doesn't notice, it's that she likes it. She regularly has it redecorated, it's very well maintained. She recently had to replace her 3 piece suite and the new one looks almost the same as the old, because it is a size and style she likes and finds comfortable.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options

- My god, gloss kitchen, square toilets, artificial grass, laminate floors, how grannyish can you get????
    - I know and what's with all those ridiculous wordy ornaments everywhere, 'soak' next to the bath', 'relax' hanging on the wall above the sofa, wonder what they hang above they loo?
    I think that is likely to be a highly accurate prediction. Some of those things are definitely here-today-gone-tomorrow, like the tacky writing everywhere, to which I'd add rectangular wall tiles laid in a brick pattern. Others, like noisy wooden floors, have to my surprise been a thing for 30 years now. They're thus either timeless, classic or due to fall out of vogue. Personally I think room-size seagrass rugs could be the next big thing. They will be where I live that's for sure :-)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Don't forget the wall stickers that will take off the plaster
  • Ocelot
    Ocelot Posts: 540 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cloo wrote: »

If it is anaglypta along the lower part of the stairway, that is quite sought after and I wouldn't remove it personally.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I already hate laminate floors.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I already hate laminate floors.

All laminate, or just bad laminate?
    I can't stand those wordy ornaments everywhere, esp the stickers on the wall (apologies to anyone who has them, I'm sure they are done very tastefully)
    I hold my hand up to the grey thing, we have a grey wall in the living room when grey accents and I have grey and copper wallpaper in the home office...with white floating shelves (they'll be another 'of the time' thing) But in my defence, I've always like grey, the vast majority of my wardrobe is grey so really I'm just extending that to the house.

What about woodburners, of an era like the stone clad gas fires of the 70's and 80's?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some things we did in the mid 90s - rag rolling, wallpaper borders are dated
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Some things we did in the mid 90s - rag rolling, wallpaper borders are dated

And stencils.....so many stencils
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills