PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 May 2017 at 4:06PM
    Options
    LittleMax wrote: »
    OK guys - what am I missing here? Seems to me the only people this is worth anything to is nos 212, 214 and 236. And presume they have already been offered!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-59624029.html

Lot of it about - councils/developers offloading land that has maintenance/mowing costs but zero value. You could of course try tarmacking it and turning it into a long narrow car park and charge commuters to park there for the day, it might be just round the corner from a station or large factory - or what about an ice-cream or butty van pitch? That should please the locals...

EDIT: - Ahh I see!! parking it probably is then - its spitting distance from a large city hospital. There's parking season ticket revenue to be had here with a small investment.
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nice of the wherever-council gangmastets to want grassy verges to be turned into car parks. Presumably the council tax for those affected properties will still go up next year.
  • TheGardener
    edited 10 May 2017 at 7:27PM
    Options
    ruperts wrote: »
    ...Presumably the council tax for those affected properties will still go up next year...

Maybe - but you can guarantee the councils budget will go down...

If its a toss up between more resources in social care and education verses cutting grass verges - I know where I'd vote if I were a Councillor.

In 2014 - Sir Albert Bore (then Leader of Birmingham City Council)
    predicted " ...the end of local government as we know it”. Many in LA's believe he was stating a fact - not making a prediction. I'm not supporting the action - just saying how it is.
    Some might say its the council using its initiative in the face of probably a lot of fed up local residents moaning about hospital workers parking on the verges in their residential streets.
    Sorry - I've gone off topic.:)
  • Lummoxley
    Lummoxley Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The light shade in pic 16 would freak me out, let alone a kid, if someone turned the light on whilst I was half asleep. :)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66295991.html

Not sure about turning the garage into a porch either.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    The lightshade is indeed disturbing but the kitchen seems to have its own moon...
  • MrsJam
    MrsJam Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Now, if I was trying to sell my place, I think I would clear the top of the fridge/freezer first!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58385998.html
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    LittleMax wrote: »
    OK guys - what am I missing here? Seems to me the only people this is worth anything to is nos 212, 214 and 236. And presume they have already been offered!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-59624029.html

Mind boggling at the thought of such an odd local Council that they would be even thinking of selling their grass verges:eek:
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A bit late but can we add Coco the Clown to the clowns exception rule? I still remember him coming to my primary school to promote road safety ...
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    A bit late but can we add Coco the Clown to the clowns exception rule? I still remember him coming to my primary school to promote road safety ...

Pity he's not still around* :(

He was the real deal; not a clone clown, like Ronald MacDonald.

* Mind you, he'd be about 116!
  • TheGardener
    edited 12 May 2017 at 5:19PM
    Options
    Mind boggling at the thought of such an odd local Council that they would be even thinking of selling their grass verges:eek:

Odd? not at all...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-26783098
    http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11850733.Council_makes___24_million_from_property_assets_sale/

Why would councils - starved of funds but with hefty legal obligations to fund social care and other essential services think mowing and litter picking grass verges into eternity was a better use of the money? I suppose they could just put the council tax up some more...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure