Options
13»

Comments

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 August 2011 at 8:22PM
    Options
    Because my gut reaction is that it feels to me like that you DO realise that voluntary work doesnt apply to businesses for obvious reasons.

Reet - having said that - I DO hope that we can all get back on topic - because it IS a very serious matter that many people are finding that their pay has been cut or frozen and we REALLY DO need to debate this topic.
  • Jesthar
    Jesthar Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    Options
    No idea about whether the rank and file in our company are getting a pay rise this year, as the senior management has been putting off negotiating it with the Unions whilst they push through a reorganisation that will see a lot of people working more hours for no increase in pay (because "we need to save money"), but intelligence suggests it's likely to be nothing or minimal ("because we need to save money").

In the meantime, management have also been regaling employees in the offices with what they intend to spend their 20% bonuses on ("because - ah - we need to, um, take the incredible risk of 5-6 figure bonuses in order to save you essential workers from the root of evil that is money?").

Oddly enough, morale has soared - not...
    Never underestimate the power of the techno-geek... ;)
  • nutty_nat
    nutty_nat Posts: 475 Forumite
    Options
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    We havent had any pay increments for 3 years.

We are exactly the same as you no pay rises for three years :mad:
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 August 2011 at 7:34AM
    Options
    Little point of clarification here - theres "pay increments" on the one hand (ie going a step up a payscale because one has been there for another year) and "cost of living rises" on the other hand.

This thread is about "cost of living rises" - ie have people had their cost-of-living rises or no and, if they havent, have they actually had a physical paycut (which I guess one could interpret as a "negative cost of living rise":cool::().

It just strikes me as "Department of the Bl**dy Obvious" that employers dont seem to realise that the more unfairly employees are treated (ie with inadequate cost of living rises, payfreezes, downright paycuts) then the worse the standard of work they turn out will be - whether thats because they are doing it deliberately to "get their own back" or because they are still trying but are feeling so unmotivated (ie because of the way they are being treated) that they are slackening off anyway even without any deliberate attempts to "put a spanner in the works" on their part..

I think many employers must be putting their businesses/etc into a vicious circle of payfreeze/paycut etc and the employees "slacken off" and the employer then decides they are making less profit and imposes another payfreeze/paycut and the employees "slacken off" a bit more and so it goes on ad infinitum...
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be clear I have gone up pay scales but had no cost of living for 3 years.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income