Options

Comments

• mixie
    mixie Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I have had a wallet posted back to me left in a Brighton cafe
    Also had notes that fell out of a pocket retrieved and returned to me
    I think most people would hand it in.
    Odd how people always have a much higher opinion of their own moral values than those of strangers.
  • littlemissbossy
    Options
    I walked up to a cash machine outside a supermarket and it was bleeping like mad and the screen was saying "would you like another service?", someone had walked away and left their card in the machine! I quickly pressed no and handed the card in at the customer service desk inside the supermarket.

I think I good rule of thumb would be expect the worst but always hope for the best.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ScarletBea wrote: »
    I can't believe most people say that someone would have taken it... that's really an awful view to have of the world...
    DervProf wrote: »
    And yet I think you'll find it's a fairly realistic view.

I suppose I am an little untrusting, but I`ve been on this planet long enough to realise that there are more than a few folk who are less than honest.
    mixie wrote: »
    Odd how people always have a much higher opinion of their own moral values than those of strangers.

A lot of people don't have a higher opinion of their own morals - just read some of the other threads on this board. I've always been quite trusting of people and always try to be optimistic but my faith in human nature has been damaged by many of the replies from other MSErs.

If I did lose something, I would follow littlemissbossy's rule and hope that someone like me would find it and return it but not expect that to happen.
  • littlemissbossy
    Options
    Just another thought on this, the media is full stories about how awful people are and the nasty things they have done that its very hard not to be cynical. I keep telling myself there are lots of nice people about - they just don't make a "good" news story.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 August 2011 at 1:39PM
    Options
    I'm an out and out cynic and would fully expect the purse to be gone.

That said, I stayed in a travelodge in Edinburgh one night when I was down for a family funeral and as my head was all over the place, I left my netbook on the windowsill at the front desk whilst checking in. I realised I didn't have it maybe 20 minutes later and as it was the time of the big rugby matches in Edinburgh the place was full of drunken big burly blokes. Many of them were checking in after me.

I rushed back expecting it to be gone but nope, one of those drunken burly blokes had handed it in. I was so very, very grateful and amazed at the same time. Previous experience has taught me that a lot of people only like to think they are honest, when faced with an 'easy picking' scenario a lot of them will submit to temptation. I was delighted to be proved very wrong in this case.

Edit: It's interesting to see the huge majority vote for 'purse gone' in the 41-60 age group, much more than other age groups. Is that indicative of a realistic experience of life over years, or indicative of the main age range of this site's user group I wonder.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • wonderbrawl
    Options
    I consider myself to be a fairly honest person, but when I found a purse with £40 in it, but no form of ID, I thought there is no way that anybody is ever going to be able to claim this back if I hand it in (it was in the middle of the street), so I pocketed the money. I felt quite bad about it, but if there had been even a debit card or anything identifying the owner, I would have taken it to a police station.

On two occasions, however, I have successfully returned very expensive mobile phones that have been lost by looking up the contacts list.
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Options
    Anything that could be identified to an individual I'd hand in (they've got a chance of getting it back). A tenner on the floor, I think I'd keep, if I didn't see who'd dropped it. I'm not dishonest, I just don't think there's a realistic chance for the owner ever being traced.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • Grumpyswife
    Options
    I think there is a perception that if an individual makes a mistake or loses something, the honourable thing to do is help them out. When it comes to big business (and we all know how popular banks are!) then maybe people are less likely to be honest and make the most of the windfall?
  • Elliebean
    Options
    I voted it would be handed in but it really matters where you lost it and time of day on a train for example. I have handed in purses and bags.
  • Missmarple
    Missmarple Posts: 150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps 100 people pass by, 99 honest one's that don't see it. It only takes 1 dishonest one to take it.

Also does the amount of cash inside matter ?? hand it in if only £50 in it but what about £1000 + . Perhaps we are only honest depending on the amount. That could be another poll.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure