Death and Debt.

Options
Hi all.
M father has just passed away and has left a debt on his credit card that matches the money in his current account. both accounts are with the same bank. He is not married any more and i'm his next of kin (son). What happens to the debt and credit. Do they cancel each other out or is there a law protecting the credit.?

Comments

• A11yson
    A11yson Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Printerman - I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm no expert, but I can see that you haven't had any replies yet, so I'll try and help. Firstly, all accounts will be frozen until paperwork is done - advising the Bank formally by production of the death certificate etc. To give a simple answer, it will mostly depend on whether he had any insurance on his credit card - if he did, the card company will automatically pay it off (once advised formally of the circumstances). If not, the repayment will come from the estate - and the administration of the estate will depend on whether he left a will or not, and what was in it. That is a simple answer - hopefully a more knowledgeable person will be along in a mo to help out. HTH.
    :j £2 coin saver club £52 :j
    Formerly known as Bargain Annie - but handed Annie over to friend in need ;)
    Love a lot, Trust a few, but ALWAYS paddle your own canoe!:rotfl:
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would agree that the bank account will be frozen untill the estate is sorted out, however the funeral expences can be paid out of the frozen bank account, you just need to send the undertakers bill to the bank and they will pay it.
  • printerman_2
    Options
    What if the amount in the account doesn't cover thw whole funeral cost.?
  • angelatgraceland
    Options
    You may get help from DHSS if you are on low income. The point is-does he have any estate? If he had, it comes from that.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure