Holiday from work for planning.

Options
Was just wondering as a result of being moaned at... who has holiday booked from work in the week leading upto their wedding to do finishing touches and planning (aka running around like a headless chicken)

Actually if anyone isn't doing this please let me know! I want to know I'm not the only one thinking that isn't really necessary. I don't want to waste my holiday, I don't get enough as it is.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If everything isnt ready before the last week, youre in trouble.

Personally, I would take the Thursday and Friday off to chill, and be excited at the same time.

Enjoy...............
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • emz118
    emz118 Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    I am a teacher, so I can't pick and choose my holidays... they are when they are!!!

But, I chose the Monday after we've been off for a week already, so I won't be working in the week running up to the wedding.

I think I will be doing things like table plans, place names, favours, guest books, finishing off centrepieces etc, as well as having my nails done and having a few days to chill out.

I would say book it off just in case you need it, it would be awful to be trying to do things as well as working!

Although, a TA from work got married on a saturday, and she only had Friday off then was back in on the Monday, so I guess it depends on how big the wedding is and how much of an organisational nightmare it is!
    First date 10.2.2002
    Engaged 18.8.2010
    Wedding 9.4.2012
    Baby #1 due 26.2.2014 :j
  • Tiara_2
    Tiara_2 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    Options
    I've booked the weeek before our wedding off. There are bound to be bits to do that I can only do close to the date like the final table plan. I want a few days to relax as well, and definitely won't get that if I'm working.
    If nearer the time I find there is very little left to do, then I may consider working for the Monday and Tuesday, but I definitely want the Weds/Thurs/Fri off to relax and unwind :)
  • johannalf88
    johannalf88 Posts: 2,827 Forumite
    Options
    I am definitely going to book the week off before the wedding. But I don't live where we are getting married, so need to be there to sort out the marquee and decorate etc.
    :T
  • becca0417
    becca0417 Posts: 3,114 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Again I'm a teacher and have chosen the first day in June half term so we can go away for a few days after. So if time off is needed, tough!!
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14 :D
  • double_mummy
    double_mummy Posts: 3,989 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    can i take a year off work for planning?????
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    Have taken the Thursday -Friday before the wedding off to deal with anything that might come up and to give me the opportunity to try to relax a bit.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • dawnebabe
    dawnebabe Posts: 462 Forumite
    Options
    I've taken the week leading up to our wedding off, and then 2 weeks after. I'm a nurse on a busy acute psychiatric admission ward & it's very stressful, I just don't want to be stressed in the week leading up to the wedding. I've never in my life had 3 weeks off work, I won't want to go back!!
    :heartpuls dawnebabe :heartpuls
  • spoonymoose
    Options
    I'm a teacher too so can't really take time off from work.

I'm getting married on a Monday, so will have the weekend to get my nails done etc and then travel to the venue on the Sunday.

I'm hoping everything will be done by then... I'm hoping everything will be sorted and paid for during the Easter hols then I can enjoy the lead up to the wedding.

If you're getting married on a Saturday, perhaps just take the day before off to do the little finishing touches :)
    Planned our wedding, still planning lessons
    :smileyheaSaid "I do" on 4th June 2012:smileyhea
  • kmmr
    kmmr Posts: 1,373 Forumite
    Options
    I'm taking the week before off. But i have family coming from overseas who want to get involved so i will leave a few jobs til then. plus just to chill out and do lots of facials (as unsubtly suggested by the make up person!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure