Wanna buy my first car!

Hi guys,
So I'm now 17 years old, and I have been learning to drive - and now I'd really like to own my own car!
My maximum budget is £1000, although anything less would be fantastic. I've been looking on Ebay and Cartrader...and my friend has a car he wants to sell me. But being young, I know very little about cars. So I was wondering if you guys could give me a hand?
Thanks!
Jenny
Undergrad law student. Take my advice with a pinch of salt! :rotfl:

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • alun4
    alun4 Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your most important " first thought" should be insurance. Our son had a £200 car that cost £1000 to insure whilst learning then an extra £800 for the balance of the year after passing the test.

Our daughter has a Polo which I insured with Marmalde whilst learning (7 weeks) then internet search was for £1000 for a year when she passed (most seem to pay £2000 +) !

We don't have them on our cars (we are with SAGA!!!!)
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Double your budget just for insurance. Boy/Girl racer favourites maybe a lot more.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Unfortunately 1000 isnt enough because of your age (its v.low anyway)

Some good advice is to wait at least 1 year from passing till taking insurance in your own name. There is a special premium charge for new drivers and together with being slightly older it should be far more possible
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Before buying any car, get a quote on the insurance using a comparison site and expect it to cost more than the car itself.
  • attila_
    attila_ Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    OP said 1k is for car not insurance...someone else may be paying this for all we know. Agree its a big consideration.

To answer the specific question: 1k is more than enough for first car. Things which were good as my first/banger cars were:

1. polo - 95-99 range. 1 Lit petrol.
    2. Pug 205 if you want retro look
    3. fiat panda (the original ones)
    4. Nissan Micra

popular young peops cars are corsa, pug 206, fiesta, saxo etc...so sought after frst time buyer cars.....
  • alun4
    alun4 Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry, I did mention Polo but not my "£200" car for son. This is an "L" reg Citreon Salsa (Saxo) 954cc it had done 35000 miles when we bought it in August 2009. They are out there but not on every corner. I strayed onto insurance because that was the more important cost when looking to buy. This was not what the OP asked!
  • garethgas
    garethgas Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    attila_ wrote: »
    OP said 1k is for car not insurance...someone else may be paying this for all we know. Agree its a big consideration.

To answer the specific question: 1k is more than enough for first car. Things which were good as my first/banger cars were:

1. polo - 95-99 range. 1 Lit petrol.
    2. Pug 205 if you want retro look
    3. fiat panda (the original ones)
    4. Nissan Micra

popular young peops cars are corsa, pug 206, fiesta, saxo etc...so sought after frst time buyer cars.....

All good choices for a 17yr old. I bought my son a 1999 1.0L Polo for £900 and its absolutely immaculate.
    One thing to watch though is that any car at this price/age will have things go wrong so keep reliability in mind when choosing.
    Good luck
    You have been reading.....another magnificent post by garethgas :beer:
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    VanyaHargreeves you need to do a bit more homework before buying your first car
    all the cars mentioned are ok but all old and with the best will in the world will probably have issues ,so a contingency fund will also be needed if you arent a hands on person
    of course the insurance is the big downer of course

good luck
  • Do you absolutely need a car? They are a money pit if not needed, and if you save up for a few years you could buy a much better car.

Check insurance first, avoid typical first driver cars such as 206s, corsas etc. these will have higher insurance. Try adding an older driver as a named driver to reduce your premiums.

Can you increase your budget, getting a slightly newer, less mileage car will reduce your repair costs. Buying a £600 car might seem like a good idea but when your replacing things every few months it will get expensive.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport