Newbie to ebay

Hi

I want to sell some unwanted items via ebay, which will be my first.

I've only ever bought one item on ebay too and that was a few years ago.

I see I have to set up a sellers account and there are various upfront fees involved, depending on the number of images uploaded and a few other options.

There is also a final sellers fee, at about 10%

I was happy with this, but a friend said I could really try and sell and take cheques .. paypal was really the only way to go.

OK I thought, but I think there are more fees there too. How much are these fees please

Is it really worth it ?

Just as an example, say I sold a camera for £30 .. how much IT TOTAL would I be paying if the buyer used paypal

thanks

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    WLM21 wrote: »
    Hi

I want to sell some unwanted items via ebay, which will be my first.

I've only ever bought one item on ebay too and that was a few years ago.

I see I have to set up a sellers account and there are various upfront fees involved, depending on the number of images uploaded and a few other options.

There is also a final sellers fee, at about 10%

I was happy with this, but a friend said I could really try and sell and take cheques .. paypal was really the only way to go.

OK I thought, but I think there are more fees there too. How much are these fees please

Is it really worth it ?

Just as an example, say I sold a camera for £30 .. how much IT TOTAL would I be paying if the buyer used paypal

thanks

As a rough guide, Ebay fees would be 10% and Paypal another 4% (I think), so on a £30 sale, you would pay about £4.20 in fees, plus your listing fee. Also, if you load more than one photo through Ebay it will cost an extra 12p per picture, unless you can upload through something like Photobucket.

Assuming you adhere to the Paypal rules regarding posting, it is a far safer option than a cheque.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Charlies_mum :beer:
  • Crowqueen
    Crowqueen Posts: 5,726 Forumite
    You can accept cheques but you have to accept Paypal - you have no option any more.

Cheques are safer for the seller - no chance of a fraudulent INR, but you are still legally responsible for the item.

I'd never pay with anything other than Paypal though so as likely as not you may never see a cheque at all.
    "Well, it's election year, Bill, we'd rather people didn't exercise common sense..." - Jed Bartlet, The West Wing, season 4

Am now Crowqueen, MRes (Law) - on to the PhD!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure