PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council House- Shower.

Options
Hi all,

i am moving into a council house on saturday and it doesnt have a shower, only a bath.
I am just wondering if the council should install a shower, or if i will have to do it?

Comments

• skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You. But it will be have to be done correctly and to standard. Check with them.

The council have no duty to install one - you have a bath.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want a shower you will have to install it yourself and ask for permission first before you go ahead.
  • Werdnal
    Werdnal Posts: 3,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its an either/or situation - they have to provide one or the other.

Ask permission and check whether they have any rules or regs you need to abide by. As its a rental, they may want to inspect and check off the workmanship (electrics are involved in most shower installations and these need to be certified).

Unless you have a medical need or disability meaning you cannot use a bath, I don't think they will do it for you.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    You'll have to install it and then maintain it.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd hold out for a jacuzzi.
    Been away for a while.
  • carefullycautious
    Options
    :rotfl:

• I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd hold out for a jacuzzi.

bag of sprouts and a bath full of water!!! LOL

(With all the cutbacks you'd be lucky to get a tap washer replaced!!!)
  • squinty
    squinty Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    The Council will not do the work. However, you will also need permission from the Council to carry out the work.

Permission will not be 'unreasonably withheld' but permission will usually be conditional on certain standards - for example this must be installed by a competent person, and done to the correct standards. If the council needs to carry out an inspection either before the work or afterwards some councils will charge for this.

You need to ask the council two questions as well as the permission:

1. Who will be responsible for the maintenance of the shower, and

2. What is expected if/when your tenancy ends (ie will you need to remove the shower / tiling etc). - Some councils will be more flexible if you use the same materials that they would use themselves.
  • erdd2
    erdd2 Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    For certain disability purposes, council need supply a shower however I am assuming this is not the case as would have been addressed at time of taking up tennancy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure