We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Morgan Stanley i24 card

Options
I have just received a mail-shot from Morgan Stanley headed:-

"You've been approved for the card that pays an average annual cashback bonus of £421"

Being cynical I read on - "for just £275 a year" - I'm rapidly losing interest now then I turn over and see:..................

Typical 57.8% APR (variable) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then buried in the small print is a "explanation" of why the APR looks so high, they are blaming the requirements of the Consumer Credit Act.

Thanks, but no thanks !

Comments

• Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    Options
    Jesus these people should be banned from doing things like this- there are lots of people on this site (me included) are in debt and could be desperate enough to take them up on it....

Grim really....
  • Phoenix79_2
    Phoenix79_2 Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    Timmne wrote:
    Jesus these people should be banned from doing things like this- there are lots of people on this site (me included) are in debt and could be desperate enough to take them up on it....

Grim really....

If you meet the criteria for this ultra premium card (over £50k minimum and maybe upwards of £70k reading reports) then you are very unlikely to be desperate and in debt (you never know though!)

The yearly fee is what distorts the typical APR figure
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just got the i24 letter today.

But it doesn't just say I've 'been approved', it says 'you've been upgraded to i24'. Past tense.

Makes it sound as though it's a fait accompli and I have no choice in the matter. Fortunately, lower down there are the words, 'to accept your upgrade, simply confirm a few details etc etc'.

This is very sneaky marketing and many people will fill in the form, thinking they have no alternative. I do know I have an alternative, as if they were to insist, it would be 'Goodbye Morgan Stanley' and pronto.
  • prudryden
    prudryden Posts: 2,075 Forumite
    Options
    And a credit limit of £50,000.
    FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
  • aj3001
    aj3001 Posts: 730 Forumite
    Options
    The APR is inclusive of the annual charge, if there was no charge it would more likely be around 15.9%
  • merch
    merch Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    APR on purchases is 13.9%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts