Just noticed part of Dog's teeth is missing?

Options
Darlyd
Darlyd Posts: 1,337 Forumite
edited 30 July 2011 at 6:06PM in Pets & pet care
My 10 yr old female staff .

I noticed 2 of her teeth have broken. Can't think how this happened, unless she did it whilst chewing her bone, the white ones? (but she has never had a problem with these before?)

What could/ would the vet do/advice?

I don't think it's bothering her, But I am concerned obviously.

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    I've read your post a couple of times and am confused about how many are missing

"2 side teeth (vampire ones) well half of them are missing" ...

Has she lost one tooth or multiple ones?

If one, likely it was a bone, but not sure how she'd have managed to damage more than that?

Pop her along for a check to make sure she's not damaged what's left.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    Just realised it's your older dog (thought it was the pup) - she may have lost them due to age.

What sort of condition were they in? If "not too nice" they may well have just come out.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • spincandy
    spincandy Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned unless the gums were swollen, there was any pus, bleeding or discharge or she seems in pain. Those particular canine teeth, especially in dogs, are rooted quite deeply- if she's broken the top off and the root remains it may need removing. It's hard to tell without seeing the teeth themselves but any vet worth their salt will do a dental check free of charge or for a reduced fee. Take her along for a quick check up, even if just for your piece of mind. x
    2019: £16.98 Cuteito, book
    2018: £443
    2014-2017: £3623.18
  • Darlyd
    Darlyd Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2011 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Thank you guys, I have edited my post. DOH

I will take her along to the vets for a check up, poor bugga might need them removed, as the top half has completely gone, ya know the pointy bit? I don't know how she is managing to eat her dry food, but she is, bless her.. I would be crying in agony if that was me.

EDIT: just got her to roll over, DD2 tickling her tummy, but she won't let me look in her mouth, I want to take a photo (to show you and the vet, should she not let vet in). They must be hurting her, because she is the type of dog, that will let you do anything to her.. OH C rap!! Going to have a hell of a time at the vets. Am so concerned for her. :(
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    darlyd wrote: »

I will take her along to the vets for a check up, poor bugga might need them removed, as the top half has completely gone, ya know the pointy bit? I don't know how she is managing to eat her dry food,

easier than you think

IMAG0120.jpg
    That was taken a few days after he had the front bottom of his mouth cut off (put your forefinger across your bottom teeth and thumb under your chin and that's what went).... two weeks later and he was chewing bones and for tea tonight he'll be tucking into a rack of lamb ribs.
    Dogs use their big front fangs for tearing meat apart and their back teeth for chewing, so you shouldn't have any problems at tea time
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    Options
    darlyd wrote: »
    Thank you guys, I have edited my post. DOH

I will take her along to the vets for a check up, poor bugga might need them removed, as the top half has completely gone, ya know the pointy bit? I don't know how she is managing to eat her dry food, but she is, bless her.. I would be crying in agony if that was me.

EDIT: just got her to roll over, DD2 tickling her tummy, but she won't let me look in her mouth, I want to take a photo (to show you and the vet, should she not let vet in). They must be hurting her, because she is the type of dog, that will let you do anything to her.. OH C rap!! Going to have a hell of a time at the vets. Am so concerned for her. :(

You are doing the right thing by taking her to the vets :T

Try not to worry too much though - if they are causing her pain they can be removed under general anaesthetic, and I have seen many dogs and cats cope with hardly any, or no teeth.

If you are worried she won't let the vet have a look, tell them as soon as they go in, so that they can ask a VN to help

Good luck! I am sure it will all work out fine!

PS - many dogs are stone chewers, and owners often don't notice any damage until it's extreme - nothing to feel bad about x
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My cat's had one of her fang teeth snapped off for years with no ill effects. My greyhound's got ONE remaining front tooth and still manages to chomp her way through breakfast (albeit a few bits slip back out the front and she has to go back for round2 on them) - she finds it a little bit harder to take treats and they sometimes pop back out and she doesn't notice and the other dog swipes 'em!
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure