Dog with broken tooth

Options
Becles
Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
Was playing with my dog earlier and noticed he's broken a tooth. It's the top right little one:

DSC_0023.jpg

No idea when he did it and he doesn't seem to be in pain or any discomfort.

Will pop him along to the vets on Monday, but just wondering what the likely outcome is, and how much is it likely to cost me? :o Is it something simple to fix or will he need an op to remove the tooth?

He's a 21 month old collie and otherwise fit and healthy.
Here I go again on my own....

Comments

• Darlyd
    Darlyd Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    SNAP!

I just noticed my 10 yr old staffy has 2 broken teeth, down the bottom, vampire ones (as I call them). I have no idea how this happened, don't seem to bother her either. Should of read this forum before I posted..

DOH
  • spincandy
    spincandy Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That tooth doesn't look too bad and, especially with it causing no pain, we would probably leave it. There's only really two options: pull it or leave it! Lol! We don't fill or repair teeth generally. If he has to have it out (which I doubt) he'll need a general anaesthestic but it'll be a reeeeally quick op- those incisors are simple to whip out. Your vet will be able to do you a quote, but I wouldn't expect to pay more than £150 (and that's stretching it)

Oh and, for a two year old Collie, the rest of those teeth look in excellent condition! ;)

x
    2019: £16.98 Cuteito, book
    2018: £443
    2014-2017: £3623.18
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My old dog was obsessed with stones - he loved to find a big one and have a sneaky chew of it.

Anyway he snapped off his bottom canine tooth, so I took him to the vet.

They said he'd need root canal work with the nerve taken out. This was in 2002 and the bill was £650...!!!

Thank God for pet insurance!
  • Darlyd
    Darlyd Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    My old dog was obsessed with stones - he loved to find a big one and have a sneaky chew of it.

Anyway he snapped off his bottom canine tooth, so I took him to the vet.

They said he'd need root canal work with the nerve taken out. This was in 2002 and the bill was £650...!!!

Thank God for pet insurance!

Oh my goodness!! :eek:

We don't have pet insurance, we just put money aside each month into the pet account, not a lot in there at the mo as we had to pay a lot out for our other doggy who died :(.

But I shall be taking Molly to the vet, I think she may need these 2 teeeth pulling out, Now where did I put my camera...

Watch this space..
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for the help and the nice comment about his teeth! My other collie is 6 and he's got nice white teeth too. They both love sterilised bones and they have raw carrots and apples regular to keep their teeth clean.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • DitaVonTee
    DitaVonTee Posts: 404 Forumite
    Options
    One of my dogs broke her canines, vet wouldn't touch it, said it wasn't worth removing as it would have caused far more discomfort removing it rather than leaving it there.

If he/she isn't in any discomfort, vet will most likely not bother regarding it.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    There's not really any point taking him to the vet as there's not a lot that can be done. Bucket Head is currently asleep on my leg and she's lost pretty much the same tooth and it doesn't affect anything.

Like you said, you've no idea when he did it so if you hadn't noticed it you still wouldn't know or taken him to the vet; so he could have done it weeks / months ago....
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DitaVonTee wrote: »
    One of my dogs broke her canines, vet wouldn't touch it, said it wasn't worth removing as it would have caused far more discomfort removing it rather than leaving it there.

If he/she isn't in any discomfort, vet will most likely not bother regarding it.
    If it's not hurting, quite right.

My dog was obviously in pain as he kept pawing at his mouth and was snappy and generally on a short fuse:) Soon as he came round after the op he was his usual sweet self again.
  • kimberley111
    kimberley111 Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    My little dog snapped a tooth when he was about 3,he's 12 now and it's never bothered him x
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    Options
    spincandy wrote: »
    That tooth doesn't look too bad and, especially with it causing no pain, we would probably leave it. There's only really two options: pull it or leave it! Lol! We don't fill or repair teeth generally. If he has to have it out (which I doubt) he'll need a general anaesthestic but it'll be a reeeeally quick op- those incisors are simple to whip out. Your vet will be able to do you a quote, but I wouldn't expect to pay more than £150 (and that's stretching it)

Oh and, for a two year old Collie, the rest of those teeth look in excellent condition! ;)

x

I would agree with spincandy

That is an incisor, usually they have shallow roots, and if it causing him no pain I would leave it be - it may well end up dropping out on its own.

He probably did it chewing something - just monitor for signs of discomfort ie off food, pawing at mouth, and check his mouth regularly. Any doubts, see the vet.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport