Reclaiming shares in Scottish and Southern Electric

Options
How do I go about reclaiming shares in Scottish and Southern Energy? I believe I own a certain number of shares in this company due to previously owning shares in Scottish Hydro Electric and possibly also Southern Electric.

I cannot remember the exact set of circumstances now, but due to me changing addresses several times during the 90s, I lost all the paperwork relating to these shares. I was contacted a few years back by Georgeson Shareholder Services who offered to reclaim these shares for me for a SUBSTANTIAL fee.

Is there any way I can reclaim them at no cost or for a small nominal fee?

I would be grateful for your help

A.

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can't you just write to the registrar for SSE and give your full details including all your previous addresses? BTW, what's happened to all those nice dividends over the years?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Annisele
    Annisele Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 30 July 2011 at 10:45AM
    Options
    SSE's registrars are Capita.

Contact details:
    Capita Registrars
    The Registry
    34 Beckenham Road
    Beckenham BR3 4TU
    T: +44 (0)845 143 4005
    W: www.sse-shares.com

As gadgetmind says, get in touch with the registrars.
  • Upinsmoke
    Upinsmoke Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Annisele and gadgetmind. I will get in touch with them. Any idea how much it will cost to get a new certificate?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From some dealings with an estate last year a figure of around £50 - 60 comes to mind, it is not simply replacing a piece of paper it involves admin and indemnity charges :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure