Freezing Apples

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
9 replies 1.1K views
moments_of_sanitymoments_of_sanity Forumite
1.7K Posts
Debt-free and Proud!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
DD1 and me found a local orchard today and got about 6lb apples (open to everyone so they were free :j), is it possible to freeze apples, do I need to do something with them first before I freeze them - I really don't want them to go to waste?

Replies

• tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just wash peel slice into wedges and then freeze them on a tray before putting them in zip-lock bags.. they come out fine.. some people dip them in lemon juice too but I've never had them go brown as I freeze them quickly.. Apples will keep for months just as they are , if you wrap them individually in news paper and store somewhere dry and dark they will keep for ages...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • tanith wrote: »
    I just wash peel slice into wedges and then freeze them on a tray before putting them in zip-lock bags.. they come out fine.. some people dip them in lemon juice too but I've never had them go brown as I freeze them quickly.. Apples will keep for months just as they are , if you wrap them individually in news paper and store somewhere dry and dark they will keep for ages...

Thank you so much for that reply, I will try wrapping them as when I peeled them earlier to put some in an apple crumble they turned brown very quickly
  • depends on the variety of apple wether they will keep or not. Our Discovery is laden, not quite ready for eating yet, but they wont keep well at all. Just make as much apple sauce/pies/chutney/jellies as you can!
    For freezing, wash peel and slice, then toss them in sugar before freezing, they are MOST delish and will last till next harvest. If you eat a slice of frozen sugared Discovery, it's a whole new taste sensation!!!

I made some apple jelly last week, cooked the apples in Balsamic vinegar, now there's a whole new flavour. Great with crackers and cheese. :)
  • i peel and slice up apples - then put them in a bowl of slightly salted water - this stops them from going brown - and they will keep in the freezer for about a year

you can also put the apples through a juicer and freeze the juice
    saving money by growing my own - much of which gets drunk
    made loads last year :beer:
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I do three main things:

peeled, cored wedges open try frowzen then bagged. juiced and frozen in clean out WELL LABELLED plastic milk bottles...milk can go yellowish in the freezer so it is essential to label well. And apple sauce frozen for use with pork or jazzing up for pie fillings. We eat a fair bit of apple sauce, we love it with yoghurt or porridge in the mornings.

edit: its also worth making up some into puddings or pies that will freeze, and apple cake, so that you have something ready to pull out at short notice. :)
  • 3v33v3 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Dried apple is rather good too :)
  • Thank you all so much for the replies, think I will try and make some apple sauce/pies & chutneys :D
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3v3 wrote: »
    Dried apple is rather good too :)

I think this is a great idea, I guess they would need to be sliced thinly and tossed in lemon jouice before going into the oven on a low heat? How long do they last in an airtight container?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • 3v33v3 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I think this is a great idea, I guess they would need to be sliced thinly and tossed in lemon jouice before going into the oven on a low heat? How long do they last in an airtight container?

Here's a link to drying apples which suggests they will keep for 6-9months.

http://www.pickyourown.org/apples_dried.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals