in Pets & Pet Care
19 replies 1.2K views
2»

Replies

• zzzLazyDaisyzzzLazyDaisy Forumite
    12.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is a hunter, and roams across the fields at the back of my house. But I have trained him to come when I whistle as the sound carries further, and he always turns up. Often with a present for me :o
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • I wish I'd thought of a whistle! (noted for next addition to the family!)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • just an update

ive started to let him out gradually but he is doing my head in :)

when i bring him in after an hour or two he yowl like mad at the doors to get out again.

Do I just bite the bullet and install the cat flap and let him have free reign?

Thanks

eta he hasnt yet been outside this morning but is already crying to get out.
  • Glad to hear it's going to well.

Does he come back fairly well when you yell?

If so, let him out if it wants to be but just give him a yell every so often, reward him with a wee treat when he comes back and then let him wander around again (repeating process).

Both mine are tucked up in bed (big one hasn't even bothered coming out at all to see what's happening) - it's chucking down here.
  • tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just let him do his thing, he knows how to get home now and he's not going to forget...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • i found it hard when ours first went out but we just one day opened the door and left it open and off they went lol we had a few problem and 1 of the 3 did get hit by a car after she had been going out a few months and we have only just after 6 years got another one so have 3 again.

our kitten is 5 months and we have taken him out a few times and he looks scared so will leave him now till after he been neutered and then try the leave the door open and let him go approach
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • Just a bit of advice if he doesn't already have one. A reflective (preferably flea) collar is best. It means if he ever does stay out till dark that cars will see him at night.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • pigpenpigpen Forumite
    39K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mine went out about a month after we moved house.. I opened the door and let them explore.. they didnt go far and came back every few minutes to check we hadnt left them I think..

I do call for them if they dont come in for dinner though.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    01/01/2022 £41653.68 (2.41% int.)
  • Wei-Huang wrote: »
    A reflective (preferably flea) collar is best. It means if he ever does stay out till dark that cars will see him at night.

If you do use a collar, please check that it's one that will break if he gets stuck on something (eg a branch when climbing).
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides