Dogs Trust Campaign to make Microchipping compulsory.

in Pets & Pet Care
21 replies 1.4K views
I thought some of you here may be interested. I received the following email from the Dogs Trust this afternoon.

[FONT=&quot]Dear Mr XXXXXX,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Would you be able to spare five minutes to help us make the microchipping of dogs compulsory?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Dogs Trust has been leading the campaign calling on the government to introduce compulsory microchipping for all dogs in the UK and a requirement for owners’ details to remain up to date on a national database. We have recently formed the Microchipping Alliance which brings together over 15 organisations including leading animal welfare organisations, assistance dog charities and veterinary bodies to lobby collectively on the issue.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Microchipping is the most effective way of ensuring lost dogs are returned to their owners. However of the 8.2 million pet dogs currently in the UK, more than a third remain unidentifiable. This poses a serious welfare issue. In 2010 local authorities took in over 121,000 stray dogs, of those dogs taken in by authorities last year, 6,404 were put to sleep. Dealing with these dogs cost a combined estimate of £25.9 million worth of taxpayers and charities’ money. If more dogs were microchipped, more could be returned to their owners and the cost to authorities would be vastly reduced, as well as ease the stress and worry to dogs and their owners.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Our campaign has already seen significant support and we know that DEFRA are carefully considering the issue. We would therefore like to ask for your help by asking you to [FONT=&quot]consider writing to relevant Ministers so they can see first hand the level of public support that exists for our campaign.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you have five minutes we would ask you to write to the Rt Hon Caroline Spelman, Secretary of State for DEFRA and if you can spare ten minutes, also write to Lord Henley, Minister for Animal Welfare. We suggest you use the template below but would strongly recommend you personalise the letter for maximum effect and explain in your own words why having your dog microchipped is so important to you as a responsible dog owner.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you so much for your time in helping us to advocate this important welfare issue, together I believe we really can make a difference to dogs.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you again![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clarissa Baldwin OBE[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Dogs Trust Chief Executive[/FONT]

A template letter can be downloaded from - http://tr.dogstrust.org.uk/r5.aspx?GV1=TIBN02YXXXXX0005K1000F9JW000CXD7Q&mpvrs=00008A9B0CC7DFCC5

Replies

• gone4gold62gone4gold62 Forumite
    469 Posts
    i personally think every dog should be micro chipped after all if you are a responsible owner you would want your dog back and micro chipping surely increases its chances should .
  • BeckyyBeckyy Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree it would be VERY helpful, especially with strays, but would be difficult to reinforce. Would there be random spot checks on dog's out in the public? What about those never registered at a vets?

People not changing details when they rehome dogs is an issue too.

I think microchip charges should be reduced, they're ridculously high if you have them done at a vets at the moment. And I know some chip companies charge for changing your details etc.
  • vax2002vax2002
    7.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    good old fashioned dog tags
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • edited 29 July 2011 at 5:53PM
    pineapplepineapple Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 July 2011 at 5:53PM
    I had my dog micro chipped and have always regretted it after learning of the possible side effects. Please read this very carefully.

http://www.chipmenot.org.uk/articles/are-pet-owners-being-misled-regarding-the-safety-and-reliability-of-microchip-implants.html

It's precisely because I AM a responsible owner (also my dog is well trained and never lets me out of her sight) that I feel the risk of her going astray is outweighed by the risk of the chip.

I will object to any attempt to make it compulsory.
  • vax2002vax2002
    7.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who owns the chip in your Dog ?
    Nice try, not this time thanks
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • edited 29 July 2011 at 6:10PM
    TropezTropez Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    edited 29 July 2011 at 6:10PM
    pineapple wrote: »
    I had my dog micro chipped and have always regretted it after learning of the possible side effects. Please read this very carefully.

http://www.chipmenot.org.uk/articles/are-pet-owners-being-misled-regarding-the-safety-and-reliability-of-microchip-implants.html

It's precisely because I AM a responsible owner (also my dog is well trained and never lets me out of her sight) that I feel the risk of her going astray is outweighed by the risk of the chip.

I will object to any attempt to make it compulsory.

I've seen that site before and I've seen the allegations it makes contested in various publications and journals and from veterinary professionals.

Although not a direct response to ChipMeNot but a response to similar scaremongering, there is this rebuttal - http://avetsguidetolife.blogspot.com/2011/01/microchips-tumors.html

And in the comments section of that article somebody brings up ChipMeNot and the author posts a further rebuttal.
  • edited 29 July 2011 at 6:13PM
    TropezTropez Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    edited 29 July 2011 at 6:13PM
    Beckyy wrote: »
    I agree it would be VERY helpful, especially with strays, but would be difficult to reinforce. Would there be random spot checks on dog's out in the public? What about those never registered at a vets?

People not changing details when they rehome dogs is an issue too.

I think microchip charges should be reduced, they're ridculously high if you have them done at a vets at the moment. And I know some chip companies charge for changing your details etc.

It costs me £15 to get a dog chipped. I don't really consider that ridiculous as there are ongoing database costs and the vets time to consider.

As for enforcement - there are a number of countries where chipping is already compulsory as well as a number of countries that effectively enforce dog licencing. I don't think it would be too difficult to take a leaf out of some of these nation's books to ensure that everyone was compliant.
  • Sagz_2Sagz_2 Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    pineapple wrote: »

MSE won't let me type the word I want to in reply to that site .........but it begins with a B, ends in an S and my dog hasn't got his anymore.:D
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree! :D
  • spincandyspincandy Forumite
    146 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    I am VERY much behind this campaign and also believe we should bring back permits for owning dogs. People have lots of different opinions about chipping and it seems to be becoming just as controversial as the neutering debate! I can't count the number and variety of discussions I've had with clients about it as of late! My personal opinion is that I've seen plenty of dogs (and cats) come in as strays (dead, injured and alive) without chips that have never been reunited with their owners. I've seen dogs which have clearly been stolen but there is no way of proving anything. I have never (ever) seen an adverse reaction from a chip. All my pets are (and all my future pets will be) chipped and tagged.

xx
    2019: £16.98 Cuteito, book
    2018: £443
    2014-2017: £3623.18
  • RevRev Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't think of a single reason why it shouldn't be compulsory to chip your dog.

Where is the con?

Dog goes missing, chip helps bring it home. My cousins dog was let out by burglars last year, thanks to his chip, he was back within 24 hours.

Dog is abused, found as stray, chip helps locate the scum that did it. In todays day and age where there are people who think animals are accessories, punchbags, weapons etc. People who have zero respect for life. Chips could help bring them to justice. If it keeps one dog from being owned by a worthless scumbag, or helps bring one animal abused to justice. I think it will have done a fine job.

I know logically it's not that simple, with people not maintaining details etc, But I see no reason not to have your dog chipped.

Both mine were done at 8 weeks, one for £14 at the vets, and the other for free from the local dog warden, I can't remember why tbh.

Of course there's going to be dogs that have reactions or side effects. But then there'll be dogs that have reactions and side effects to walking on a certain grass/carpet, eating a certain thing, taking a certain medication, vaccinations...everything. There will be some dogs it doesn't suit whatever you mention. It's about weighing up pro's and cons.

The pros of a microchip far outweigh the cons imho.
    Sigless
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides