Suggestion: Allow 3 character Searches [Merged]

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
4 replies 647 views
chartreuse_2chartreuse_2 Forumite
287 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
Hi all and thanks for an incredibly useful site. Just to prove that you can't please all of the people all of the time, I have a polite request. I seached to see if it had been discussed before but didn't find the exact topic.

Now, I understand that the 4 character search string limitation is part of vBulletin. However, we use a lot of 2 or 3 character acronyms here (eg PPI, RBS, SIM, 02 etc etc) and it would be great to be able to search on them.

So, I know that some members are also aware of https://www.flyertalk.com. That site has similar issues (airline codes such as AA, BA, US and airport codes like LHR, LGW, NCL). Somehow the admins there managed (before their recent upgrade to a newer version) to create a "whitelist" of 2 and 3 letter search terms that would be allowed by the system.

Is this something that the MSEs think might work here?

Replies

• LorianLorian Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please can MSE allow 3 character searches on the MSE forums?

I know it uses a little more system resource on the server, but it could be just turned off during Martin's TV appearences :money:

As it stands, it's not possible to search the forum for things like "HMV" or "Wii".

Thanks for considering it :)

Edit> Oops I see someone else already suggested it.

Edit > http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=336151

It's only Wisdom when someone listens!
  • srasra Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adding 3 letter words is supposed to subsantially increase the size of the search database.

But I see over on the demo board at vbulletin.com there's the option to add exceptions - 1/2/3 letter words that you can search for despite them being too short, but I don't know if that's for the version we have.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    This will be looked at when we upgrade vbull - but it is way down the list at the moment - the servers couldn't cope with it - and the focus of our attention is the site redesign.

Sorry

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • jamesdjamesd Forumite
    24.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do this, use myisam_ftdump on the search index to get an ordered list of the most frequent words in the index, then add the ones you don't want to search on to a custom stop word list. That will limit the search index size growth.

It's also worth doing it on your current search index, so you can add a few more stop words and cut the size down a bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals