Hermes couriers

Just need to vent over what some people may seem trivial, but it has left me completely confused.

At 8.32 this morning while having a cup of coffee watching the news something fell through my letterbox (I thought it was junk mail as we get loads so I didn't move), after a couple of minutes I got up to find a delivery notice from Hermes couriers saying they had tried to deliver a parcel but no one was in :eek:

Now I was having a cup of coffee no more than 3 feet from the door but in my living room (if I had seen the card I would have rushed after him and he definitely didn't knock)

I went straight outside to see if he was still about and my neighbour was in the garden so he had made no attempt to deliver there either. According to the card he left it at number 32 I live at 44.

Turns out according to the person who had the package he had also delivered a parcel there and told her he had forgotten to deliver mine so could he leave it there and he would go back and put a card through my door.

Now why would he do that and not attempt to deliver the parcel instead of just posting the card ???????

Is it just me.

I emailed the courier company and they can't deal with my enquiry due to contractual matters and that I would have to go to the company I bought from and they would complain on my behalf.

I just find all this completely baffling, is this a common practice to cut down on delivery times so that instead of knocking on 2 doors they only knock on 1?

Anyway rant over :D

Comments

• westendguy
    westendguy Posts: 58 Forumite
    There have been several threads on this, but I think really its just down to individual couriers, and on the couple of occasions I have used Hermes mine has been brilliant.

Always collected promptly, and back last year Hermes left a parcel while I was out for my address which was not for me.

I tried contacting them to get them to collect it but had no joy. Then a few months later when using them for a collection I explained this to the courier who took it back.
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    soccermom wrote: »
    I just find all this completely baffling, is this a common practice to cut down on delivery times so that instead of knocking on 2 doors they only knock on 1?

probably so they don't have to knock on 3, 4, 6 or 12 doors. If they'd gone to yours and you were at work, still in bed or reading the paper on the loo then they'd have to have tried a neighbour or two to find somewhere else to leave it... and then possibly going back to number 32 because they know somebody was in.
    although strange, they've made sure you were able to get your parcel and they can get straight back on their route.
  • soccermom
    soccermom Posts: 294 Forumite
    Yes but why come back to mine after delivering the parcel somewhere else.

Surely it took longer to drive down the street then double back on themselves to redeliver the card.

Westendguy I did a search and yes theres loads on them. You seem to be the only happy customer :D

Scheming gypsy that doesn't make it good practice though does it. If I pay for a delivery I expect a delivery. I didn't pay for a DIY service :)

As a 999 call operator I don't answer one call and dismiss the other because I need to get onto call 3.

Rant over again :D
  • soccermom
    soccermom Posts: 294 Forumite
    probably so they don't have to knock on 3, 4, 6 or 12 doors. If they'd gone to yours and you were at work, still in bed or reading the paper on the loo then they'd have to have tried a neighbour or two to find somewhere else to leave it... and then possibly going back to number 32 because they know somebody was in.

By that then how did he know 32 was in, why didn't they leave her package at mine.

He had already told her he forgot to go to mine and my neighbour was in the garden. He didn't even attempt to come to my address with the parcel.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure