Confusion

Options
Hi

I hope someone can provide me with some advice.

I work for the NHS where I have decided to take a version of voluntary redundancy. The scheme is called Mutually Agreed Resignation. In summary I am choosing to resign from my post and will receive severance pay. This follows a lengthy and unhappy process where I have been transferred from a job in one Trust to another and the work I used to do no longer exists. I won't be made redundant, so this is the best option and perhaps an opportunity to make a positive change.

So in around 6 weeks time I will be unemployed, I won't be able to claim any benefits as legally I have resigned. I will be paid 3 months basic pay (tax free) which will cover my rent and living expenses for 6 months maximum.

I am 34 years old, have no dependants and no mortgage. I have been unhappy in my line of work for some years so would like to take this as an opportunity to make a change. Does anyone know of any free resources to help as I know I want a change, but I don't yet know what I want to do!! Also how I could cover my living expenses should I choose to go back into education or a much lower paid job?

Many Thanks

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Also how I could cover my living expenses should I choose to go back into education or a much lower paid job?

Career is one angle but this raises bigger issues immediately.

IN an income impared situation cash is king and needs preserving.

You need to down size your expences ASAP.(should have started this a while back if you knew this was the route you were going to have to take)

One way to do this is to think like you are in debt.

So the starting point is debtfreewanabe a SOA and look at what you can get the expences down to.
    http://www.makesenseofcards.co.uk/soacalc.html

You need to get a handle on this quickly or you could find yourself spiraling out of control quite quickly.
  • freedax
    freedax Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your reply and the link. Unfortunately I only found out last week that I was in this position with my job so at the moment I am in a bit of a panic as to what to do.

I have no debts, just a loan on my car (which I am going to find out if I can pay off), so it will just be a case of getting down my living expenses.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    freedax wrote: »

I am 34 years old, have no dependants and no mortgage. I have been unhappy in my line of work for some years so would like to take this as an opportunity to make a change. Does anyone know of any free resources to help as I know I want a change, but I don't yet know what I want to do!!

NextStep is one resource - see https://nextstep.direct.gov.uk/planningyourcareer/wheretostart/Pages/default.aspx
  • koloko
    koloko Posts: 1,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 August 2011 at 1:37PM
    Options
    deleted deleted deleted
  • freedax
    freedax Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I've tried out the Next Step website, and completed all the assessments, although its long winded its quite useful to see where your strengths and weaknesses are.

Thankfully I have no debts now. I paid off the loan on my car and I always pay my credit card bill in full every month. I don't have a degree, only the GCSEs I left school with when I was 16. I don't have any aspirations to work towards a degree, unless it led to a specific career. Searching around for vocational courses and they seem to be very few and far between.

I'm not sure how realistic this plan is. I've worked in admin jobs in the past (and moved into IT which I have grown to dislike), and so long as I can cover my living costs do temp work. Its been around 10 years since I did any temp work though, so I have no idea what the market is like now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure