PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

Options

Comments

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mix with breadcrumbs, one grated onion and one grated green pepper, an egg and some seasoning for meatballs. Yum.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • storytime
    Options
    Whilst we are talking about mince, does anyone know of a good vegetarian mince as I'm trying to cut down on red meat? I've tried the Q product and turkey mince and wasn't impressed? Otherwise I shall carry on stretching mince with porridge oats and lentils.
    My secret fantasy is having 2 men....
    1 cooking and 1 cleaning.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could look into various beans to bulk out or replace mince, perhaps? E.g. I've heard of bean chilli as a veggie alternative to mince chilli
  • sexki11en
    sexki11en Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    I've bulked things out with beans, extra veg, lentils and porridge oats and the only thing I've found so far that doesn't taste like it's been bulked out is soy mince.

I use it 50/50 with beef/lamb mince and it's fab. It's dried and you rehydrate with water. It looks like mince and has the texture of mince but takes on the flavour of whatever your cooking really well.

It's cheap and has the bonus of less red meat sitting in your colon festering! lol

SK x
    After 4 years of heartache, 3 rounds of IVF and 1 loss :A - we are finally expecting our miracle Ki11en - May 2014 :j

And a VERY surprise miracle in March 2017!
  • storytime
    Options
    sexki11en wrote: »
    I've bulked things out with beans, extra veg, lentils and porridge oats and the only thing I've found so far that doesn't taste like it's been bulked out is soy mince.

I use it 50/50 with beef/lamb mince and it's fab. It's dried and you rehydrate with water. It looks like mince and has the texture of mince but takes on the flavour of whatever your cooking really well.

It's cheap and has the bonus of less red meat sitting in your colon festering! lol

SK x
    Thanks for that but do you buy it at the supermarket or health food shop. Sorry to be so thick!
    My secret fantasy is having 2 men....
    1 cooking and 1 cleaning.
  • Josslette
    Options
    I normally use a 400g(ish) packet of mince to make enough for four portions(there's only 2 of us), I'm going to use some of these tips to try to make it stretch to 6 to 8 portions :)

Thanks!
    September Grocery Challenge £0/£225
  • sexki11en
    sexki11en Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    storytime wrote: »
    Thanks for that but do you buy it at the supermarket or health food shop. Sorry to be so thick!

I get it at Tesco but i'm sure you could also get it at the health food shop.....

SK x
    After 4 years of heartache, 3 rounds of IVF and 1 loss :A - we are finally expecting our miracle Ki11en - May 2014 :j

And a VERY surprise miracle in March 2017!
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cornish pasties?
  • Tillytrotter1
    Options
    I am making a cottage pie for tea tonight but am a little short on mince. I understand plenty of people here use oats. Do I just add a handful of these when I add the stock? I want to make a portion for two feed four.

Thanks
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I don't use oats as they can make the dish pasty tasting but Red Lentils are always a good healthy filler.

If you are adding oats then add as you start to make the sauce, like Red Lentils add the quantity you feel happy with that will stretch the dish and suit your taste.

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/house-garden-194/money-saving-budgeting-bargains-609/405059-what-add-mince.html

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=955687

http://www.momswhothink.com/easy-recipes/shepherds-pie-recipe.html

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/recipe-cottagepie.html
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure