PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

Options

Comments

• amazon_spice
    Options
    mushrooms in eevrything here!

green or red peppers in chilli.
  • nickinoodle_2
    Options
    Great, thanks for all ur ideas people, some really good things, will def try the lentils as wanted to start using these more
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And I add thinly sliced parsnip and mushrooms to cottage pie and lasagna as the kids eat them without realising then ;)

On another thread a comment by MATH (I think) said to add in some rolled oats with the mince as when the mince is cooked apparently you can't tell the difference between the oats and the mince - have yet to try it though.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • morganb
    morganb Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    With moussaka I always add green lentils and the kids love them
    That's Numberwang!
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use about 4oz of mince per person if I'm not padding. I added oats to cottage pie but tbh felt it made the texture a bit slimy. Didn't tell DS or DH though and neither commented and the flavour was fine.

Grated carrot will pad anything - the sweetness goes really well with bolognaise sauce.
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    I always thought a 500g pack was intended for four although I know some use for more some less. Husband eats large quantities of meat so a 500g pack usually goes 1/2 on him and the rest on 1 adult and 2 children. OH would eat the whole pack if I wasn't there to complain :rolleyes:

I am another fan of adding, peppers, beans, mushrooms, carrots etc to bulk the meal out.
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    The packs we get are 454g. We cut this in half and each half will do two people easily. Apparently you're not supposed to eat more than 100g or so of meat for your dinner so I just usually work on that principal.
  • Heth_2
    Heth_2 Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    When I make chilli I use a 454 g pack of mince and usually make four portions, of which I then freeze two.
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    454g is 1lb in old money and 4oz is always ample for a serving when cooked in 'mincey' recipes.

When things were very tight I used to add oats or the breadcrumbs from stale bread that I had frozen. As long as the gravy or sauce is well flavoured and there is loads of mash, rice or pasta, it usually all goes down with no complaints.

Now of course it is healthy to have oats rather than red meat... dried soya pieces (double points for Whole Foods in Mr T's at the mo) is a good padding too.
  • Pandora123_2
    Options
    We use veggie mince (fresh or frozen, not the dried stuff), 150g for two LARGE servings (more like three normal-sized adult servings). We add pinto beans to chili. You might want to try mixing veggie mince with regular mince, or even veggie mince on its own... DH says the only diff he can tell with stuff made from veggie mince is there aren't any gristly bits :rotfl:

:A
    I want to move to theory. Everything works in theory.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure