PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mince quantity question (stretching and portion sizes)?

Options

Comments

• ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    My MIL used to serve mince with macaroni through it - no tomatoes -it was vile !

my mum used to make this and I have childhood memories of sitting at the dinner table crying because it was so vile. Cheap lumpy gristly mince and rubbery macaroni tubes. :(
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • MaggieBaking
    MaggieBaking Posts: 964 Forumite
    Options
    It was just mince and macaroni? Nothing else?
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    It was just mince and macaroni? Nothing else?

lumps of mince but not meatballs and dry macaroni. I used to have to coat it in tomato sauce to get it down but even then have been left traumatised by the dinner table battles. :o
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    ali-t wrote: »
    lumps of mince but not meatballs and dry macaroni. I used to have to coat it in tomato sauce to get it down but even then have been left traumatised by the dinner table battles. :o

Yukkers!! One of my all time hated foods,aside from sprouts & turnip,is macaroni cheese...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I too hate macaroni I was in hospital in labour from Wednesday until Saturday morning with my first baby in 1967 and on the Friday night that's what was dished up for supper.I made sure I wasn't staying much longer in there as it find macaroni awful and made the effort and pushed my 8.5lbs daughter out into the world as soon as I could :):):)I think if I was starving I couldn't eat it
  • Dave_liverpool
    Options
    Well actually not wholey mince, its red lentils I'm wondering about!

I found a pack at the back of my de-cluttering of the cupboards but to be honest I didn't take them on! But now I'm curious to find out how to use them, ( and truth be told I'm skint this month! too much month)

So do they need any prep or do I bung them 'raw' into the mince I make for cottage pie/bolonese and chilli.

Any other uses?

*must be tastey and then the OH will never know he's not got his full quota of meat.

:)
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi, if i use a 750g box of mince, i brown that off, and in a separate pan of boiling water, boil about 2 or 3 tablespoons of lentils for about 10-15 mins till they go soft

then you can drain the water off and add them to the mince and carry on making your dish

if you bung em straight in the mince they'll stay quite crunchy...not very nice!!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The red lentils will break down completely and thicken whatever liquid there is in the mixture. I'd add about a quarter by weight to ground meat but you have to bear in mind that they're pretty tasteless so you'll probably need to add a bit more seasoning than normal.

If you want to use them in something else rather than soups and whatnot you could try making lentil pate which is fairly easy
  • Dave_liverpool
    Options
    Brilliant :)

just what I need to know.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just add a couple of handfulls to the mince. No need to soak or pre-cook.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure