How Long

Options
Please can anyone tell me how long does this procedure take to get you money bck from the bank if you dont have to go to court ? Many Thanks Livelyred
Won 2010: Butlins 5 day Break and £250, 1 yr Virgin Active membership, Meal for 10 at Best Parties Ever, skyline 2011 dvd.

Surveys Tescos Home Panel,Boots,cint sample,Unex Royal Mail,Crowdolody,Valued opinions,Ayton,Buzz,Ayton,Consumer Pulse,Royal Mail Posting, pigsback.

Comments

• jas135
    jas135 Posts: 72 Forumite
    Options
    after reading all th succes stories , it can range from 3 days to 7 months . Usually around 6 weeks is about average .
  • sgx.saint
    sgx.saint Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, realistically, it should be 40 days.

As after 40 days you should be taking the bank to court anyway.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    Options
    If a bank doesn't play ball straight away, you have to allow them 40 days to send your bank statements. So unless you have all your statements, I would allow at least 6 weeks.
    My thoughts are that you think you have already lost the money, so what is another week or two to wait and make sure you have done the deed correctly.
  • livelyred
    livelyred Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    Options
    I am sorting this out in the wk once the new year is over.I havent many statement so i will have to write to them and include £10 cheque.But do you think Nationwide will close my account after if i win my charges bck ?
    Won 2010: Butlins 5 day Break and £250, 1 yr Virgin Active membership, Meal for 10 at Best Parties Ever, skyline 2011 dvd.

Surveys Tescos Home Panel,Boots,cint sample,Unex Royal Mail,Crowdolody,Valued opinions,Ayton,Buzz,Ayton,Consumer Pulse,Royal Mail Posting, pigsback.
  • sgx.saint
    sgx.saint Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    Options
    There is reports that some banks will close your account if you attempt to reclaim back charges. Although not in everycase and I wouldn't say it was too common, but it is a risk you take when you start to claim back charges.

Best bet is to open what we call a Parachute Account, which is basically just another bank account with an un-related bank. That way if Nationwide do close your original account you have an account ready for you to fall back on.

Hop over to the Budgeting and Current Accounts forum to have a look at the different accounts etc.
  • livelyred
    livelyred Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that.

• Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nationwide are one of the worst banks/building societies for closing an account after you've reclaimed your charges (seems to be in the majority of cases with this bank). Not all the banks are doing the same after people reclaim their charges, but Nationwide seem to be at the forefront of asking people to close their account (from what I've read here, and elsewhere).

If you set up an account with another bank just in case (a parachute account). It wont make any difference if your current bank asks you to close your account. They will normally give you 30 days notice to close your account if they ask.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    Options
    livelyred wrote:
    But do you think Nationwide will close my account after if i win my charges bck ?

They closed my daughter's account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport