New Exhaust

Sammz
Sammz Posts: 3,406 Forumite
Hole in the exhaust somewhere so going to have to get it replaced. I have a 51 Citroen Saxo 1.1 and wondered how much I should be expecting to pay?
OD Girls On Tour
Barcelona 2008 - Dublin 2009

Comments

• how much of the system do u need ...complete.??
  • Sammz
    I've read it's best to replace all of it. If one bit goes the rest is likely to follow?
    OD Girls On Tour
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have a look at the link below for a guide on what you can get the parts alone for:

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/

Exhaust Systems >> Citroen >> Saxo etc...

[EDIT] One thing, it is really worth getting a copy of the local paper and ringing around LOTS of garages and exhaust fitters - when I was getting prices for getting the back-box changed on my car I got quotes varying from £50 all the way upto £130!

And in typical sods law fashion after having it fitted, someone at work recommended a local garage that would have done it for a even less :-(
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello sammz

Your thread will be better placed in the 'Motoring & Public Transport' board, so I'll move it across.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The bit connected to the engine (manifold) tends to last the longest, the pipes and back-box underneath the car usually blow first. One of the "good guys" I've found were STS - had the back-box replaced as it failed inside the 2 year guarantee period, no quibble at all.
  • Sammz
    Nile wrote:
    Hello sammz

Your thread will be better placed in the 'Motoring & Public Transport' board, so I'll move it across.

Oops, didn't realise. Thanks :)
    OD Girls On Tour
  • Sammz
    I was hoping to get it done asap but not sure I can afford that right now. I have New Year planned 50 miles away - is it ok to drive that far with it? Once there I know someone who could patch it up (if that's all it needs). This will give me time to phone around as well.

Should the guys doing my MoT 3 weeks ago have spotted that? Would have been nice if they warned me.
    OD Girls On Tour
  • Sammz
    Bumping thread in the hope that somone will be able to answer my last couple of questions ...
    OD Girls On Tour
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sammz wrote:
    I was hoping to get it done asap but not sure I can afford that right now. I have New Year planned 50 miles away - is it ok to drive that far with it? Once there I know someone who could patch it up (if that's all it needs). This will give me time to phone around as well.

Should the guys doing my MoT 3 weeks ago have spotted that? Would have been nice if they warned me.

It depends on how bad it is. Just a hole should be ok (although illegal - sorry officer I didn't notice, it must have just happened) but if the pipe is cracked or hanging down, it is potentially very dangerous as the pipe can drop, dig into the road and try and 'pole-vault' the car, causing damage to the bodywork and a potential accident if it catches you by surprise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure