PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker gang

Options
The only os thing I haven't done yet is...to buy a slow cooker.
My reason for this is I'm worried about leaving it on while the house is empty. We're warned about not leaving xmas lights on, tumble dryer on, washing machine on, even unplugging the kettle. So what is different about a slow cooker?
I know I'm being a big wuss, but I'm paranoid about it over-heating, exploding etc. :eek:
So please can you re-assure me as I'd love to join the gang.
Thanks

Comments

• TKP_3
    TKP_3 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    My OH says you leave the fridge and freezer on. He says it's the same thing :confused:
    I am not sure (I haven't done this as I work from home) ;)
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)
  • Beetrooper
    Options
    I use my slow cooker all the time in winter and I leave it on overnight and turn off in the morning it makes the house smell fantasic - thus just heat it up when you get home from work.

no probs
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    They really are safe to leave on while you're away ;) honest.
  • Crazychik
    Crazychik Posts: 1,994 Forumite
    Options
    Im usually out of the house on average 5hrs each day mon-fri, and (touch wood) Ive never had a problem what so ever with my SC.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • tracyk
    tracyk Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beetrooper wrote:
    I use my slow cooker all the time in winter and I leave it on overnight and turn off in the morning it makes the house smell fantasic - thus just heat it up when you get home from work.

no probs

Do you put it in the fridge whilst you're at work Bee? And do you reheat it in the slowcooker?

I am parnoid about giving my family food poisoning :o
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you're scared you'll be out longer than you want to leave it on then just pop a timer on it (can get the plug ones you use with lamps)

Only thing I am careful about is to make sure there is enough stock if doing the likes of barley or pasta as it absorbs water and don't want it drying out.

I have also left mine on over night to cook a broth for the next day, and the smell on a morning makes me soooo hungry it's lovely.

I reheat usually in a pan on the hob, as I make a huge amount in the SC for several meals and freeze the rest in pots, or sometimes in microwave or oven, as long as you only reheat something once and make sure it reaches correct temperature should be fine and dandy. With my SC I bought a meat thermometer. That way I can ensure everything is heated properly.

It's so handy for me as I usually prep a meal on the morning while the children are having breakfast and throw it all in and it's ready for tea time :) Not even had mine a month and wouldn't be without it.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • BusyGirl
    BusyGirl Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks everyone for reassuring me. I have just reserved the 3.5L Cookworks one from Argos for £8.99 and I shall be collecting it tomorrow! :j
    Now I'm off to look at the slow cooker thread for recipes.
  • K9cuddles
    K9cuddles Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Options
    It's a super SC for the price! I've got one and had no probs!! Enjoy it!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • Maz
    Maz Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BusyGirl wrote:
    Thanks everyone for reassuring me. I have just reserved the 3.5L Cookworks one from Argos for £8.99 and I shall be collecting it tomorrow! :j
    Now I'm off to look at the slow cooker thread for recipes.

I love my sc but ran out of ideas ages ago! Where is the sc recipe thread please???
    'The only thing that helps me keep my slender grip on reality is the friendship I have with my collection of singing potatoes'

Sleepy J.
  • FRUGALPIE_2
    Options
    Been meaning to buy a new one for ages - just reserved one to collect tomorrow...my old one has been worked into the ground!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure