🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Should I switch from EDF Energy Standard to Fixed Tariff 2014?

Options
creativ
creativ Posts: 48 Forumite
My direct debit for gas and electricity combined at EDF Energy (Standard tariff) is currently £46 per month. According to the EDF Energy Website if I switch to the Fixed Tariff 2014 it would rise to £57 per month. That's an increase of 19%.

As the price of standard tariffs is very likely to go up in August at EDF Energy, just like some of the other energy providers are doing (like British Gas - by 18% for gas) is it worth paying this extra amount per month to fix my tariff?

I'm in two minds what to do... in effect by switching to the fixed tariff I would be paying approximately the price of what the increase in August is likely to be and I would only save money if the price increases by a significant amount after then.

Is the price of gas/elec likely to drop any time until 2014?

What do suggest I do and what are you doing?

Thanks.

Comments

• jingleberry
    jingleberry Posts: 83 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I switched from Scottish Power to the EDF March 2014 fix. My monthly bill for gas and electricity combined has now risen from £102 to £127. But this figure would be even higher if I had stayed with my old SP tarriff. It's obviously more expensive to fix for longer, but it's worth it for peace of mind imo. The way I see it, if prices don't rise too much before 2014, I wont have to endure another hefty price increase when my fix expires, so it's good news all round!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport