Visa Current Account

Hi,

We've swapped bank accounts and now we have a visa card instead of a switch or maestro. We wondered if places that only take credit cards (visa / mastercard) will take our visa bank card. It works on things like Xbox live because it doesn't distinguish between visa credit card and visa debit card.

Just wondered if this works all the time?, reason is we don't have any credit cards & don't really want one but on holiday (a mini cruise) they will only take cash or credit cards so we may need to get a credit card (or use cash).

Hope the question makes sense

Comments

• thesaint
    thesaint Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    Your question is a bit confusing, but, I think that wherever you see the 'Visa' sign will accept your card, they don't distinguish between it being a credit or debit card. The reason they did this was because Visa is accepted at much more outlets than the many different types of debit cards available in different countries around the globe.
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
  • catz747
    catz747 Posts: 20,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Great! To simplify, I wondered if a visa bank card can be used when it is stated: "we only accept credit cards, visa / mastercard" as it worked once when we tried it :)
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    catz747 wrote:
    Great! To simplify, I wondered if a visa bank card can be used when it is stated: "we only accept credit cards, visa / mastercard" as it worked once when we tried it :)

Where was this? I have never seen a place which says it takes Visa, but only takes credit cards.
  • thesaint
    thesaint Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I echo the above post, The posters/signs/adverts e.t.c Will say we accept Visa/Mastercard/Switch/Amex e.t.c they don't specify Visa "Credit" cards.
    Well life is harsh, hug me don't reject me.
  • catz747
    M_Thomson wrote:
    Where was this? I have never seen a place which says it takes Visa, but only takes credit cards.

We're going on a mini cruise and on the website it says they don't take switch / maestro and only take credit cards - visa / mastercard or cash. The thing is - our visa card isn't a credit card.
  • M_Thomson
    First Anniversary
    catz747 wrote:
    We're going on a mini cruise and on the website it says they don't take switch / maestro and only take credit cards - visa / mastercard or cash. The thing is - our visa card isn't a credit card.

It make not take Maestro or Switch, but are you sure it actually specifies that they only take Visa "Credit Cards"?
  • catz747
    It says this:

How do I pay for things onboard?
    Your cruise ship is a cash-free environment. You will be issued with a personal 'Cruise Swipe Card' at embarkation that enables you to charge all onboard expenditure to your on board account. At the end of your cruise you can then settle your account with cash, travellers cheques, or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express).

We don't have a credit card but we do have a visa card (current account card)
  • M_Thomson
    First Anniversary
    catz747 wrote:
    It says this:

How do I pay for things onboard?
    Your cruise ship is a cash-free environment. You will be issued with a personal 'Cruise Swipe Card' at embarkation that enables you to charge all onboard expenditure to your on board account. At the end of your cruise you can then settle your account with cash, travellers cheques, or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express).

We don't have a credit card but we do have a visa card (current account card)

Thinking about it, contrary to my earlier post, I do remember hearing that certain car hire companies will not take Visa Debit Cards. Give them a call to to check before you go.
  • catz747
    That would probably be the best idea - Thanks :)
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    AFAIK anywhere will take Visa Debit whether they accept other debit cards or not - it can be put through the Visa clearing cycle as a credit card.

Best to ask them about it but I think you'll be fine :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure