Account for Young Person with facilities!

Options
I want to open an account when my DD is 13, but I would like to have an account for her that she can operate on the Internet and organise money transfers into her savings account.

Some accounts will give her a debit card at this age (no problem) but the ones I have looked at wont give her internet access until 16!

She neds to learn how to balance her money, so as of her 13th birthday I intend to give her, her child benefit money - everything like school uniform etc has to be bought out of it and she needs to save some seperately too. I want her bugeting early.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Do these accounts actually exist or is she going to have to do it the old fashioned way and open an account and get a statement every week from the ATM and pay cash into her savings account?:confused:

Comments

• gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Both the Nationwide Smart Account and the HSBC Livecash account allow children to have debit cards and manage their accounts online.

Regards
    Sunil
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    Bank of Scotland/Halifax Expresscash offers a debit card and online banking for those aged 11+. I don't know if they publish the fact they provide online banking with this account but I opened one last year when I was 15 and they gave me online banking no problem.

1.5% interest though so it'd be a good idea to keep any larger amounts elsewhere.

I think the Nationwide Smart Account only comes with an ATM card (or at least I hope it does since I'm 16, have a FlexAccount and they refuse to give me a debit card for that.......)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Smart Account does have internet access and Nationwide is easy to use, and the interest rate is v.good, so it would compare well with a savings account. (5.27% AER).

It comes with a Link cashpoint card.

I guess it depends how much she would need a debit card...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure