MSE News: How to avoid tax credits hotline hell

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
15 replies 5.4K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Some consumers are still reporting huge delays when renewing tax credits so HMRC has outlined the best times to try ..."

Replies

• michaelsmichaels Forumite
    24.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    028 9053 8192
    I think....
  • AEB1972AEB1972 Forumite
    3 posts
    Use this site to find a direct number - SAYNOTO0845.com

Why pay for a premium call where both the call provider & HM Revenue & Customs earn more from you!!
  • anja1camanja1cam Forumite
    2 posts
    Rang (the 0845 number) yesterday ~10.30 am to confirm my claim (white envelope), and after listening to about 3 or 4 minutes of introduction and disclaimers and warnings, and two menus, was straight through to a human voice after one ring.

Give it a go - it will no doubt get worse in the coming week!
  • Karma67Karma67 Forumite
    541 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I called the 0845 number on Monday to renew and I had the same result as anja1cam :beer: :D
  • mrcommentmrcomment Forumite
    29 posts
    Best way to avoid delays, is not to wait to the very last minute.
  • edited 30 July 2011 at 4:18PM
    tifotifo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 July 2011 at 4:18PM
    I've rang today and got through after about 10 mins, but not a good experience.

I posted my form on 27th and they rec'd it yesterday 29th (I sent it recorded). However, this has not yet been put on the system. So I asked if I can provide my figures as I'm on the phone. The operator would not take my figures, said since I'd sent the form I HAVE to wait for it to be put on system and I had to end the call.

Last year I did the same and they were happy to take my figures over the phone even though the form had not yet been put on system (they said it will be ignored). Then the form got put on 2 August and they cut my tax credits at the end of August some 4 weeks later. The telephone call saved me as they had a record of me calling and I had the name of the person I spoke to but somehow their system did not renew my claim after my call.

I don't want this to happen again this year. There was a 3 week delay last year in getting the claim reinstated and they did not pay the arrears due to me but put them on future payments, so I ended up a few pounds more every week.
  • Seaside_LassSeaside_Lass Forumite
    20 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Been trying since mid week to get through at various times. Tried this morning before I went to work and again this evening when I came home. Usually get the recorded message that lasts for 3 minutes and 20 seconds before putting you through - then I get another recorded message telling me that they cannot deal with my call now!
    Suppose I will have to keep hitting the redial button tomorrow until I get through!

Why can't it be done on line?
  • tifotifo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't it be done on line?

Because it can take around 7 days for the registration to be completed.
  • 5 hours on phone so far listening to then engaged tone then cut off after being told by auto voice I was being put through haven't even made it as far as the queue Oh my god just as I'm writing this just got auto music after over an hour this morning It's telling me I'm in a queue but unbelievably I have to leave for work in 10 minutes Will I get through before then No indication of length of queue
  • edited 31 July 2012 at 9:17AM
    Icequeen99Icequeen99 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    edited 31 July 2012 at 9:17AM
    The helpline number has changed to an 0345 (0345 300 3900) so it is cheaper to call and free for a lot of people with mobile minutes.

IQ
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support