🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

kilowat hrs to units vice versa!

Options
pors99
pors99 Posts: 38 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi
in the process of switching fuel from scottish power (sp) to eon.

Eon have quoted prices in kilowats.

sp have quoted in units.

Whats the difference? and how to convert to get best price?

contacted sp lady, who said divide by 4 to get unit price is this right? would still get same reading?

I would be very grateful for any help if you could point me in the right direction. (site conversion site etc?)

Even my mum who is a maths whizz is now stumped!

ta

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,613 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If electric 1 unit is 1 kwh.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Electric meters measure by units, which is the same as a Kilo watt hour - Kwh

Gas meter units are converted to Kwh with a lengthy calculation and just to add confusion there are 2 types of gas meter, each of which has it's own calculation
    A Metric meter is marked m3 on the front and one unit equals appx. 11.2 Kwh of gas
    An Imperial meter is marked ft3 on the front and one unit equals appx. 31.5 Kwh of gas
  • pors99
    pors99 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    dogshome wrote: »
    Electric meters measure by units, which is the same as a Kilo watt hour - Kwh

Gas meter units are converted to Kwh with a lengthy calculation and just to add confusion there are 2 types of gas meter, each of which has it's own calculation

Ta have the long complictaed calculation! Suppose my question i:- is the quick calculation the rep stated right.

If so then i have a very good fuel offer and i have always beleived if somthing is too good to be true then it is................!
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    Options
    If you are moving to EON for other than a fixed tariff then you are in for a nasty surprise as they have yet to increase their prices.
    Factor in around 12% for electricity and 20% for gas.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • evilmonkey69
    Options
    Get the names of the tariffs, which will be detailed on the supplier's websites and on price comparison websites all in price per kWh (both ex & inc vat) will be given. You will need to know your annual usage in kWh when getting quotes.

As above 1 unit of electricity measured through the meter is equal to 1 kWh.

They are 2 types of gas meter (imperial/metric). Imperial meters (cf3) measure the gas that passes through your meter in cubic feet, whereas the metric meter measures the gas that passes through the meter in cubic metres (cm3). 1 cubic metre and 1 cubic foot of gas is a unit of measurement, but you're billed as per the electricity per kWh of gas used.

The metric gas meter clocks faster than the imperial meter but this makes no difference to the amount you're billed, this only affects how the supplier converts gas units (cf3) to kWh. A conversion factor of 2.83 converts the cubic feet of gas used to cubic metres.

Imperial conversion for cubic feet (cf3) gas used is - units (cf3) x 2.83 (conversion factor) x 40 (calorific value, this varies between around 38 - 41 and based on daily measurements in around 13 points accross the country by National Grid) x 1.02264 (correction factor), then equals, then divide by 3.6 = kWh of gas used.

Conversion for cm3 of gas used to kWh is the same as the above without the 2.83 conversion factor.

Dogshome has given the quick way to get an approx and relatively accurate idea of conversion, and the SP lady has given different and incorrect info (perhaps a mis-understanding, or lack of knowledge). They shouldn't be trying to confuse when giving quotes, as transparency is crucial. They will be able to give you price per kWh if you request, if not then something is wrong.
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Although the gas meters measure in units of cubic metres or hundreds of cubic feet, prices are never quoted using these units as they do not describe the energy content (calorific value) of the gas.
    Prices are always quoted in kWh (no longer in therms).
    No calculation I've heard of sounds llike the one the rep has given you - it definitely does not convert either cubic metres or hundreds of cubic feet to kWh - uses 11.2 or 31.5 as a rough guide (a la dogshome), or if you have an average value for calorific value you can do more maths (a la evil monkey) to get a bit more accurate answer.
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I just wanted to add that these calculations are usually printed on your bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport