Cheapest Train Prices - Help Needed Please...

Options
:confused:
Hi There,
I'm REALLY RUBBISH at finding cheap rail tickets. Can someone help?
Need to travel on the 10.02.07 and return on the 17.02.07. Going to CARLISLE from BIRMINGHAM (New Street) and back. Traveling around mid-day ish.
Cheapest I've found is about £61 return.
Does anyone know of any bargains?
Thanks
Louise
:j

Comments

• pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The cheapest listed fare is £12 single these are not showing as available at the moment. This is either because they are all sold out, which I think is unlikely, or , more likely, the fares haven't been released yet, sometimes they are late releasing them especially at weekends, due to maintenance work, which means timetables can and often are altered. Until the final plans are known, the train companies, Virgin in this case, wont release the cheaper fares. Best to keep checking, National Rail or Virgin websites.
  • louise24769
    Options
    Thanks for your advice pompeyrich - I'll keep searching.
    Louise
  • lechat
    lechat Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    if you find some cheap tickets birmingham-manchester and then use megatrain.com fares for the manchester- carlisle it might work out a lot cheaper. megatrain tickets are usually about £3 and use virgin trains
  • pompeyrich
    Options
    lechat wrote:
    if you find some cheap tickets birmingham-manchester and then use megatrain.com fares for the manchester- carlisle it might work out a lot cheaper. megatrain tickets are usually about £3 and use virgin trains

Megatrain is indeed a very good alternative but I have never seen any availability on the Manchester-Carlisle, Glasgow route on Saturdays or Sundays, which were the dates specified in the original post.

Louise, the cheap fares are showing as available up to the end of January at the moment, so maybe you will find then for your dates in the next couple of weeks. No need to panic as the £61 fare can be bought on the day of travel if nothing else turns up cheaper beforehand.
  • louise24769
    Options
    You are both stars - lechat and pompeyrich - Thanks
    Louise
  • pompeyrich
    Options
    There are £12 fares available for your dates noe Louise, only problem is the outward journey is only £12 on the leaves New Street at 07:03 or 19:03 !! Coming back is more promising, there is one from Carlisle at 12:17 or 13:21. Found these here Virgin value fares
  • louise24769
    Options
    Hi Pompeyrich,
    Thanks SO much for you help.
    Managed to grab two singles, there and back for £12 and £16. BARGAIN! You helped save us £30.
    THANKS AGAIN
    Louise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family