Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Aidensfootsteps

Autumn19
Autumn19 Posts: 24 Forumite
edited 26 July 2011 at 11:34AM in Charities
http://www.justgiving.com/aidensfootsteps

Hi all a bit of a long message but please read through to the end, and thank you all in advance for taking time to read post

Can you help??

We are desperately trying to raise £40,000 to send my 18 month old son Aiden to the US for a life changing operation.

Aiden was born ten weeks prematurely with his twin brother in January 2010. Both boys spent a total of 8 weeks in intensive and special care before being allowed home. In March this year we were given the devestating news that Aiden has Cerebral Palsy, the doctors actual words were 'Aiden has Cerebral Palsy, it doesn't have to mean life in a wheelchair'.
We came away from this appointment in total shock and have researched various treatments to enable Aiden to walk unaided and grow up with his twin brother Owen. Aiden is currently not mobile which means he cannot play with or keep up with his brother due to the Cerebral Palsy causing stiffness in his legs and right arm.

We have found out about a procedure called Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR). This operation is not routinely carried out in the UK, in fact the first operation of its kind was carried out in Bristol in May of this year. The reason the operation is not widely offered in the UK is due to cost, the NHS feel that the cost of the operation and follow up physio (which can be for up to 2 years) does not outweigh the benefits of having the operation. BUT we disagree with this, this operation gives children the chance to walk and lead a full life and you cannot put a price on that!

The operation is routinely carried out at The St Louis Childrens Hospital in Missouri by Dr Park at a cost of £40,000. Dr park has had 100% success with all children he has operated on. We are aiming to raise the £40,000 to send Aiden to the states so that he can have this operation and grow up with Owen.

We are organising various fund raising events and would be very grateful if anyone could donate any raffle prizes, tombola prizes or items that we could auction off. Even if people could donate just £1 this would help us to reach our target so much sooner and get Aiden up and walking with his twin.

We are working with the Tree of Hope Childrens Charity registered number 1043092.

If you would like any further information or to keep up with our Aidens progress please visit www.aidensfootsteps.co.uk

If you are able to make a donation that would be wonderful, we have a just giving site www.justgiving.com/aidensfootsteps

Or if you have any prizes that we could use please email me at email address [EMAIL="aidensfootsteps@hotmail.co.uk"]aidensfootsteps@hotmail.co.uk[/EMAIL]

Thank you for taking the time to read our post.

Patsy (Autumn19 Aiden and Owens Nanny) Vicky (my daughter and mummy to Aiden and Owen) Aiden and Owen x

Comments

• Autumn19
    Hi all sorry it should read my grandson, daughters son. My daughter typed up thread and I thought I had read it through and changed bits but obviously I didnt.

I do hope you will be able to check out the sites though and if 40,000 people donated £1 we would have the funding for the operation in no time.
  • Autumn19
    Tescos very kindly let us rattle the collection boxes outside one of their stores, a big thank you to them for helping us get Aiden to St Louis.
  • Hiya

Just thought I would send a quick update, Aiden had an NHS physio session today and we have ordered him some special little shoes so that when he is in his standing frame he has a more stable base to work from. He has to stand up during the day as this helps with hip development and growth, unfortunately Aiden at 18 months is unable to pull himself up so we either need to support him in the standing position or need to put him into his standing frame. Aiden absolutely loves being up on his feet so that he is at the same level as his brother.

We are slowly working our way towards our target amount to raise, but we need help. The sooner we can reach our goal the sooner we can get Aiden the operation he needs so that he can stand up, run and play with his twin brother as he so desperately wants to.

Please visit Aidens website www . aidensfootsteps . co . uk (please take out spaces) for more information or if anyone has any fundraising ideas our email address is on our website and we would be very grateful for any suggestions made.
    iIf you are able to donate at www . justgiving .com/aidensfootsteps (please take out spaces) please do, every little really does help and if its just £1 or even 50p it will all help.

Thank you
    Vicky and Aiden
  • Autumn19
    Hi All,

Just saw the thread for charity pins, can someone let me know where I could get these made up for Aiden re The Tree of Hope Childrens Charity?

Any idea of costs etc?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family