meter reading

Do you have to let the people into your houses to read your meter for gas or is it ok to ring up with numbers yourself .I do not like strangers coming into my home

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Yes Carlos, can't be too careful.
    Energy companies usually have a dedicated number to ring.
    Who are you with.?
  • Meter readings

Your gas supplier must read the meter at least once every two years. If the gas supplier has been unable to gain access to read the meter it will leave a card for you to fill in with your own reading. If you are disabled, chronically sick or of pensionable age, you can ask the gas supplier to read your meter every three months. The gas supplier must inspect and test the meter at least once every two years.
    This is for safety reasons and it also gives them a chance to see if you are fiddling the meter.
    Anyone refusing access,will natuarally cause suspision.

Yes,always check there id
    Always assume that anyones id can be forged,so do not always phone the number on there id card,that could also be a con number,geniune police officers have no objection to you calling the police and checking there credentials.
    If you are on your own,especially elderly or female (please do not respond about political correctness).Arrange for them to call again when you are happy for then to have access.
    All companies have atleast one Female reader available if you do not allow men in your house and visa versa.
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    I'd say you don't have to let them in, but you will have to at least once every 2 years, but you should tell your supplier that this is your intention and that you will be supplying your own figures by telephone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure