OVO Imperial measurement

Options
Edwardking
Edwardking Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 20 July 2011 at 12:06AM in Energy
Just received a call from ovo my gas and electricity supplier saying that my gas bill has inaccuracies in it. Their representative went on to say that they have been billing me using the metric metre rather than imperial. She then went onto say that my gas consumption was higher than they had originally calculated then slapped me with a bill just short of £1,000. Needless to say I was rather annoyed that they were subjecting me to a situation that was entirely there doing, that is if it is correct this time round. I have no problem in them realising their mistake and saying that from today you are on this new tariff. Thereby giving me a choice or staying or leaving. But trying to create money out of thin air by recalculating the bills from since I switched to them. Clearly, I would not have switched to them if they had been competent enough to check the meters in the first place. You can be sure I'll be taking this to the Ombudsman.
I've noticed that I'm not the only one this has happened to. For those of you who have posted a reply to those other victims saying that they've used it so should pay for it. Try thinking about this analogy. You buy a car from someone then 2 years later they come back saying that they've underestimated the price and demand more money. Simples.

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Edwardking - C*ck-ups where the supplier calculates their bills on the wrong type of meter are not uncommon, ( but usually it's by billing a Metric meter as an Imperial meter, not the other way round as in your case ).

Just in case you have not yet got on top of this:
    Look at your meter which will be marked on the front either m3 for a metric meter, or ft3 for anImperial meter
    Next look at the line on your previous bills which lists how many meter units you have used and converts them to Kwh for chargeing, and Divide the Kwh charged by the meter units used

If the answer is appx. 31.5 you have been billed for a Imperial meter, but if it is appx. 11.2 you were billed for a Metric meter.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if in fact OVO have been billing an Imperial meter as Metric not only can they reclaim the extra cost, but your Annual Gas costs in future will be roughly 2/3 higher than they were.
    However you are entitled to a new and fully detailed bill for each one that OVO want to adjust and a negotiated time period to pay off the accrued debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure