Electricity Company Direct Debits closed my Bank Account

Options
LizinDevon
LizinDevon Posts: 11 Forumite
Hi
last year I paid my electricity company a fixed amount each month by Direct Debit. However in the Autumn at the end of last year they took nearly twice the amount out which resulted in me being overdrawn at the bank. Then they took the incorrect amount again which they returned and asked me to pay the correct amount via a debit card. I did. Unfornuately the electricity direct debit tried to take the amount again which meant I paid twice. I was overdrawn again (the advisor assured me that this woudn't happen)! Then the electricity company took a higher amount on the wrong day..yes-I went overdrawn again. By this time I had several bank charges and the bank had enough (last year I had an unauthroised person use my card number to pay online for something which meant I was 'overdrawn'. The bank returned the money after their investigation but not until I asked several months later). So I have been overdrawn several times and the bank therefore closed my account in March 2011. I did say that these incidents were not my fault..however they decided to close it. I told the electricity company that they will have to wait until I have a new personal bank account and I will then contact them..this actually has only just happen as my application was..'mislaid'.. (Don't have much luck do I!!) the electricity company said they will re-imburse my bank charges.. they haven't contacted me since March.
So can anyone advise me on how to deal with the electricity company. Their actions have caused me considerable distress and inconvenience by having my bank account closed. They have taken unauthorised amounts on dates that were not agreed. any help would be very much welcomed and i am sorry for the long post!! Lisin Devon

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi LizinDevon - Don't waste any more of your time on the phone to the Customer Services desk

List the saga of your D/D problems and the extra costs you have incurred in LETTER headed Complaint to your supplier
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure