New suppliers (moving house) rather than switching

Options
Hi all,

I've browsed a fair few threads, but it seems to mainly be (understandably) about switching rather than setting up brand new suppliers.

I've just moved into a flat on my own, and the utilities at the old place were all in my ex-partner's name, so I have a clean slate to choose at present.

Is there a bit of the site dedicated to this that I've missed?

And if not, is it simply a case of plugging some details into uSwitch and going with the cheapest, or should I be taking other things into consideration?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if the question is naive and/or daft etc.

Comments

• Dan_Yeats
    Options
    No advice at all? :(

I'm completely at sea here. I'm not even sure whether I should be going for the fixed/capped plans or not - they're more expensive, but suppliers are about to raise all their prices aren't they? Or as a new customer would be tariff be protected for a while anyway? Do I use uSwitch, or contact them directly? Anything at all? Anyone...?
  • JSR
    JSR Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    Some company will already be supplying your flat so you need to ask the previous tenant/owner who they are and get in touch. They will bill you for the time being on their standard tariff. After that you can switch to whoever you want using uSwitch or whatever.

Fixing will be more expensive, at least in the short-term, but will provide you with security that prices won't change for some time. You're probably best off with whatever is the cheapest variable rate for your usage. Although some suppliers have some nice novelties which might appeal. For example British Gas can bill you on exact readings every month which I quite like but it is not available on the very cheapest rates. :/
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 July 2011 at 9:03PM
    Options
    Hi, the most important thing at present is to read the meters and ring the previous tenant/owners fuel suppliers and register with them on their standard tariff otherwise you could end up paying for some of the previous occupants useage.

You can then get quotes from all the comparison sites:-
    Uswitch
    Energyhelpline
    UKpower
    Simplyswitch
    Energychoices
    Meerkat
    Moneysupermarket
    confused
    and many more....
    Once you have found a suitable tariff have a look on quidco and topcashback to see what cashbacks are available on your selected tariff.

As you won't have a useage history at your new address then just input average figures ( assuming you have gas central heating ) of 20,000 for gas and 3,400 for electricity. If the property is on the small side reduce these figures slightly.
    These figures you enter set the direct debit you will pay.

BG and Scottishpower have already increased prices between 15-20% so if you can get a fix on any of the other big four suppliers for less than a 10% premium it might be worthwhile. Only you can decide.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As advised, you are in a deemed contract with the existing suppliers, only once you register and open an account with them can you start to switch.
    There are dozens of existing threads on the variable/fix debate, nobody can say what is best for you.
    Being a new customer makes no difference-if you go onto a variable tariff they can raise the price at any time.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Dan_Yeats
    Options
    Thank you! :)

Finding who the current suppliers are may be tricky as the flat was vacant, and I get the impression the previous tenant left in 'difficult' circumstances. The letting agent may know though, so I'll try them.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The agent won't have a clue, it's not their job. This way is much quicker:
    http://cfe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5535
    http://cfe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5534
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories