phone line

Options
i have a house that i wish to sell. the tenant as just moved out after two years. all meter reading where taken and suppliers informed. i want to check he has told the phone company so i rang BT. they say they have no record of the number so could not help. it is not cable and the phone still works. i have not had any post from the phone company, so what now? thanks,

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    david29dpo wrote:
    i have a house that i wish to sell. the tenant as just moved out after two years. all meter reading where taken and suppliers informed. i want to check he has told the phone company so i rang BT. they say they have no record of the number so could not help. it is not cable and the phone still works. i have not had any post from the phone company, so what now? thanks,
    Did you know the number when you phoned BT?

If not, dial 17070 and get the number, then phone BT again.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes, i did know the number when i rang BT, and i have rang 17070 but it was useless.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    david29dpo wrote:
    yes, i did know the number when i rang BT, and i have rang 17070 but it was useless.
    Useless?

If it's a BT line, dialling 17070 should access their automatic circuit identitiy/ringback check system.

It may be that the subscriber had CLI barred. Try 147017070 instead.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • david29dpo
    Options
    i am trying to find out who the line is with, as you can have line rental with anyone these days. its not with BT, BT cant tell me who its with, but i find this hard to believe.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    david29dpo wrote:
    i am trying to find out who the line is with, as you can have line rental with anyone these days. its not with BT, BT cant tell me who its with, but i find this hard to believe.

Different parts of BT will have different information about the telephone line. Its imposed by Ofcom for competition reasons.

If the line rental is not paid to BT, the front line BT staff will not know the line exists etc., while their engineers may know the line physically exists but not which company gets the line rental etc.

Try calling the BT Customer Options Team on 0800 800 880 and see if they can help you.

If 17070 does not work but there is still a ringtone, it may be an LLU line..

Regards
    Sunil
  • david29dpo
    Options
    thanks for that, i have rung that number but still no luck. 17070 does work but does not tell me who the line is with. how on earth can i find out who the line is with!
  • 110frankie
    110frankie Posts: 415 Forumite
    Options
    ask the tenant who just moved out ?
  • david29dpo
    Options
    wish i could. gone back to south africa!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure