I Switched Yesterday Before New Advice To Stick

Options
padlock_2
padlock_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 14 July 2011 at 11:31AM in Energy
Hi All,

First post so please treat me gently.

Earlier this week I got an email from British Gas who I have been using for years for both gas and electricity. Alarmed at the 18%+ hike, I went to MSE site and used energysavinghelpline.com to switch to E.ON SaveOnline 8 (Dual Fuel). Weird because I only just moved to a different tariff with British Gas and uSwitch gave them as the best for me at the time.

So Martin published the updated article advising to stick where you are or fix. The expected saving for moving to E.ON is £420/year. I checked and this was against the current British Gas tariff not the new prices expected in August. Even if E.ON introduced a similar rise in prices to British Gas, I would still be better off with E.ON especially after the price rise British Gas would introduce in August.

I'm still in the "cooling off" period though so should I cancel the switch or just let it go through?

Thanks

p

Comments

• viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well,' current advice is to go for a fix over maybe 3 to 4 years if you can!, so maybe you should reconsider although it maybe more expensive at the start with energy prices forecast to keep on rising I would expect a fixed rate to save you money over the term.
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • oldskoo1
    oldskoo1 Posts: 616 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never understood why people fix prices.

There has always been a tariff out there that is cheaper than fixed prices. I know people say well i fixed 2 years ago when it was cheap but they paid more anyway, so it balances out.

Maybe i'm missing something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport