Assisted Tarrifs

Options
Please help :(. I too wish to save money, but am on assisted tarrifs due to my disability . can i switch and if so should I? :(

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you mean a social tariff? Yes, you can switch, but you'll have to prove that you meet the criteria.
    No one can tell you if you need to switch because, they don't know what tariff you are on at present.
    Have you checked that you current social tariff is actually cheaper than the cheapest variable discount tariff?
    Put your annual kWh consumption figures into one of the recommended comp sites on the main board to see what your options are.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • sarah_hayward_2
    Options
    That is fabulous.. will do thank you. confuses the hell out of me this!
  • westendguy
    westendguy Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Do you mean a social tariff? Yes, you can switch, but you'll have to prove that you meet the criteria.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning that I was accepted for Npowers spreading warmth tariff last year but was not asked to provide any proof, although I would have been more than happy to do so. They basically accepted my word, although I was an existing Npower customer.

I meet the requirements due to a combination of low income and health issues, but also have savings, although they dont seem to worry about this.

It can be difficult to compare social tariffs on comparison sites, but moneysupermarket for one allows me to compare mine with standard tariff's, although naturally it always shows as better.
  • Booth1946
    Booth1946 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Social Tariffs have finished now with the introduction of the Governments 'Warm Home Discount'.

Looking through the criteria for recieving the Discount I can't find any mention of people being in receipt of DLA
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thw warm Homes discount is giving people on Guaranteed Pension Credit money on their electric account next year. This is the Core Group. It has been left up to the suppliers to work out a Broader group also so this may differ between companies but they all seem to be in general agreement.

If anyone has a disability they should be advising their supplier so they can be added to a Priority register. They will then be able to advise what else they may be able to do.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • cing0
    cing0 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Scottish and Southern are the only ones who I know that do ask for proof of income.
    Scottish Power don't ask applicants for proof on Fresh start.
    westendguy wrote: »
    Just thought it might be worth mentioning that I was accepted for Npowers spreading warmth tariff last year but was not asked to provide any proof, although I would have been more than happy to do so. They basically accepted my word, although I was an existing Npower customer.
  • Gerrard_8_lfc
    Options
    So does this mean that people can be on the cheapest tariff yet get another £120 off there bills, or do they have to be on standard ?
    His Heart Proved He Was A Red
    Suarez, Suarez
    We Bought The Lad From Amsterdam
    We Know He's Not a Chelsea Fan.
    Fernando Torres = El Judas
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    With British Gas you can be on any tariff. The Essential tariff is now finished. Those who are on it already will be notified when they will be reassessed for the Warm Home discount. The difference this time round will be the suppliers and the DWP sharing more information.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport