Student Barclaycard

Options
Hi all,

I applied for a Student Barclaycard about two weeks before Xmas, I was accepted and they sent me the card and a week later and the pin came 5 days later.I purchased a few items from boots.com and then went to use it in Dorothy Perkins and they said they had to "retain the card". A little confused I thought they'd made a mistake so I rang Barclays up and asked them what was going on.....5 fone calls later and 20 minutes of hanging on the line they eventually told me that the day I applied for the card they had changed the credit scoring process upon asking what that meant it apparently "remains confidential in Barclays" and that I now had been declined? Are the allowed to do this? What can I do about it?

Vicky

Comments

• Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    Options
    You must be able to find out why - surely this is the data protection act's place to step in - could you offer to pay them some money to find out why, I think £10 is the maximum they can ask for....

Sorry I'm not much help!
  • darbooka
    darbooka Posts: 489 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe also worth checking the Terms & Conditions that came with the card to see if - as long as the account is in good standing - they must give you a period of advance notice before closing the account unilaterally. If so, maybe grounds for a claim to one of the ombusdmen.
  • UK007BullDog
    Options
    Get a copy of your credit report from equifax or experian.

If you applied for the card from your student accomodation address that might be an issue as there are many names listed and could have some defaults etc listed against that address.

If you applied with your home address maybe there is some credit issues there.

Or it could be a mistake on their part.

I think the best bet is to get a credit report on yourself first of all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure