MSE News: Consumers unsure over cheapest holiday destinations

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"There's a huge misconception between the perceived price of holiday destinations and the actual cost, a new survey shows..."

Replies

• JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely if you include the cost of flights, airport parking and car hire a holiday in the UK has got to be the cheapest, even if food and accomodation in the likes of Poland are cheaper.
  • aptapt Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about the Turkish occupied part of Cyprus, but most of the island is not particularly cheap. Prices went up a lot with the introduction of the euro.
  • PompeyPetePompeyPete Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree 100% with apt. Cyprus is not the cheapie it used to be, and that's reflected by the tourist numbers declining year on year since Cyprus entered the EU, and then Euro. The Cypriot psychie to get over the decline in numbers is to put prices up!
    Best value places I've been to in the last couple of years on D-i-Y holidays are Tunisia and Mediterranean Turkey. Even Istanbul, which is an awesome city, can be done fairly cheaply by just avoiding the peak periods.
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northern Cyprus is cheap, but like lots of destinations you need to avoid the main tourist areas and use local restaurants.
  • camajcamaj Forumite
    504 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I would think price of flights is not the thing that makes the difference. You can get £40 flights to Spain but accommodation is probably ten times that, if not more.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    camaj wrote: »
    I would think price of flights is not the thing that makes the difference. You can get £40 flights to Spain but accommodation is probably ten times that, if not more.
    It's enough to move the Dominican Republic from first to sixth. And enough, not surprisingly, to move Austrailia to most expensive.
  • BiggaThanBenBiggaThanBen Forumite
    506 Posts
    ✭✭
    Surely if you include the cost of flights, airport parking and car hire a holiday in the UK has got to be the cheapest, even if food and accomodation in the likes of Poland are cheaper.

The UK was perceived as the seventh most expensive destination in the study but a holiday in Brighton was actually found to be just outside the top ten cheapest destinations, in position 11.
    All my life my mother told me the storm was coming (c) Terminator 3
  • BiggaThanBenBiggaThanBen Forumite
    506 Posts
    ✭✭
    All my life my mother told me the storm was coming (c) Terminator 3
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum: