We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Payplan Options and Info meeting - self employed!

Options
Cat1
Cat1 Posts: 128 Forumite
Please help!

I'm sorting out my partners IVA through payplan. We have completed Step 3 and the proposal is for 22% of the debt.

Problem: My partner has a very tiny amount of income from self employment, amounting to less than 30 quid a month. As a result of this, Payplan say we have to attend an Options and Info meeting at their HQ in Grantham. We live almost 200 miles away and it would be 3.5hrs each way. Apparently it is deemed compulsory by their regulator.

Has anyone managed to get out attending this meeting? I really can't afford the trip, it's going to cost us about 100 quid in fuel alone! We also will have to take the two toddlers with us plus my eldest autistic child who knows nothing about this debt and will probably go into some kind of meltdown mid meeting! :o My partner really doesn't cope with money related stuff well (hence this mess) and will say yes to anything and everything so I really don't want him going alone.

It's so frustrating that we have to go to so far just because he is registered as self employed for the occasional bit of weekend work he does! Had I realised this I would have chosen an IVA company more local to us :(

x

Comments

• FoggyBrain_2
    FoggyBrain_2 Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. Although it would be a shame and cause further delay, there is nothing stopping you, at this stage, seeking another company to represent you. The possibily of this alone might make payplan come up with a more sensible solution.

I have a small self employed income, but my IVA was drafted based around the PAYE job and the odd self employed income is being treated as extraordinary income ( like overtime) as it isn't guaranteed nor regular, and we pay over 50% as and when we get any.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day, Payplan have to abide by their regulators rules, but maybe they could come to you, or have a local rep who can deputise.
  • Cat1
    Options
    FoggyBrain wrote: »
    Hi. Although it would be a shame and cause further delay, there is nothing stopping you, at this stage, seeking another company to represent you. The possibily of this alone might make payplan come up with a more sensible solution.

I have a small self employed income, but my IVA was drafted based around the PAYE job and the odd self employed income is being treated as extraordinary income ( like overtime) as it isn't guaranteed nor regular, and we pay over 50% as and when we get any.

Unfortunately, at the end of the day, Payplan have to abide by their regulators rules, but maybe they could come to you, or have a local rep who can deputise.

Thanks for replying! Sounds like we have a similar situation to you. OH has a full time PAYE job and the self employed income is neither guaranteed or regular - the 30 a month is an average figure. I have suggested Skype to them and I'll wait and see what they say. We have already been through the options and information thing on the phone before it was submitted to the bespoke solutions department. If there is nothing else that can be done then I guess we shall have to make the roadtrip!

Thanks again Foggybrain :)
  • Cat1
    Options
    Just an update! After emailing payplan explaining why a face to face options and info meeting was impractical and unaffordable they agreed and it was done over the phone instead! Took all of about 20 minutes and it was the same stuff we had covered before our case was referred to the bespoke solutions department.

Our creditors meeting was today and it's all been accepted! Here's to the next 5yrs :j
  • FoggyBrain_2
    FoggyBrain_2 Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Options
    Well done you :-) Hope the journey is a smooth one :-)
  • Cat1
    Options
    Thanks Foggybrain

The monthly payment is the same as what we have been paying on the DMP for the last three years (we should have sorted this out a long time ago!). The DMP started at the same time that me and the OH moved in together so luckily we know no different and have coped ok! The pack from the IP should arrive tomorrow :)
  • adyj73
    adyj73 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    I had the same problem in I worked for an employer Mon-Fri and had a small gardening thing going at weekend classed as self employed - all I did was cease trading at weekends before the IVA meeting ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure