Smile Credit Card

Options
I am looking for a new back-up card for emergencies and noticed on the smile website that they are supposed to be offering a card at 9.9% with no transfer fees etc. Can anyone confirm if this is correct, or if it is only during the "intro" period, as it could spell the end for the ol' egg card if correct!

Comments

• The gold card is 9.9% IF YOU HAVE A SMILE CURRENT ACCOUNT (14.9% otherwise). Fine if you're happy with that but current account isn't that special - see Martin's other articles.
  • roger56
    roger56 Posts: 478 Forumite
    Options
    anactuary wrote:
    The gold card is 9.9% IF YOU HAVE A SMILE CURRENT ACCOUNT (14.9% otherwise). Fine if you're happy with that but current account isn't that special - see Martin's other articles.

Smile Current account is 3.04%. Open a savings account and you get 4.25% as long as you have a current account. Transfers between accounts are instant, so if you manage your account on a daily basis it's a good way to maximize interest in the short term (up to a month).
    Don't forget, transfers between different bank accounts can take 3-4 days in and 3-4 days back to a current account, so you loose a significant amount of interest over the short term - the 4.25% and instant transfer of the Smile accounts isn't so bad.
    For longer term saving you do need to look at Icesave / ICICI etc.
    The smile credit card gives 0.5% cashback on purchases. You can setup a DD payment for the Smile credit card, takes 24hrs to arrive.

Banking with Smile plus having another saving account for longer term gives a good all round largely hastle free solution to maximising interest on your monthly cash flow.
  • iceking
    iceking Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    anactuary wrote:
    The gold card is 9.9% IF YOU HAVE A SMILE CURRENT ACCOUNT (14.9% otherwise). Fine if you're happy with that but current account isn't that special - see Martin's other articles.

Can you confirm if there are any transfer fees?
  • Hazzanet
    Hazzanet Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    iceking wrote:
    Can you confirm if there are any transfer fees?

I recently did two transfers with them and there wasn't any fee.

The cashback is only available on the standard card, not the gold card.

Hazza
  • iceking
    Options
    Hazzanet wrote:
    I recently did two transfers with them and there wasn't any fee.

The cashback is only available on the standard card, not the gold card.

Hazza

Time to dump egg me thinks!
  • iceking wrote:
    Time to dump egg me thinks!
    Think you can apply for egg money if you have an egg card, without a credit search (tho' max limit on egg money is 5k I think). Typical rate is 7.9 on egg money with no transfer fees and 1% cashback (currently - sure it will be cut in due course). Worth considering if only as an interim measure.
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    anactuary wrote:
    The Smile current account is special; it may not have the best interest rates but the customer service and satisfaction are tip-top. The account is a Which? magazine Best Buy.
  • realaledrinker
    Options
    Co-op credit cards only charge a fee during the 0% interest free period.

Their Clear card has no 0% interest period therefore carries no fee & has an interest rate of 9.9% typical, so this would be a better bet for the OP.

Their credit card cheques are at the same rate so you could use these to operate the card in a SBT manner if pushed.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • Co-op flat rate card is 8.9% in platinum form, if you meet the conditions (over 25 and salary over 25k I think)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure