The low users discussion area (under £600 per year total fuel costs)

Options
midgetessa
midgetessa Posts: 113 Forumite
edited 9 July 2011 at 12:45PM in Energy
I thought this might be a good idea as most of the offers and tariffs available are geared towards average and higher usage customers.

I've discovered over the years that most companies' tariffs work against us......by which I mean that one often has to pay a higher rate for the first chunk (or 'tranche' or whatever it is they call it) each quarter and then the remaining units used are charged at a much lower rate. Very often us low users don't even get out of the first 'tranche', so on average we are paying much more per unit used than a medium or high consumer.

So......

How much do you spend (or kWh usage) per year?

What supplier are you with?

What deal are you on?

Thinking of changing?

Any other hints or tips or points of discussion for low users?

As for me, my total combined bill last year was about £350. I'm with SP on the Pay in Advance No Standing Charge tariff. With the new price increases I would expect my combined bill for this year to be about £450. Been thinking of changing to Ebico which would save me about £60 if my calculations are correct but I'm waiting to see if/when they price increase.

Comments

• BargainGalore
    BargainGalore Posts: 5,243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The reason the first tier is more is because it usually includes a standing charge. £350 is very low that may work for you but that is the exception. I assume you hardly use any appliances given your very low usage
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    midgetessa wrote: »
    How much do you spend per year? Less than £400

What supplier are you with? Npower

What deal are you on? Standard Duel Fuel

Thinking of changing? Always
    100kWh Gas - Boiler is still broken....
    6000kWh Electric - 75% usage at night. E7 Water and heating and as much else as I can move onto the night rate as possible.

Pay whole bill quarterly on receipt of bill. Midlands.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How much do you spend per year? is the wrong question, should be What is your annual consumption?

Gas 10,000 Kwh
    Electric 2000Kwh

What supplier are you with? Gritish Bass

What deal are you on?
    Websaver 8 Gas, Websaver 11 Electric.

Thinking of changing? October for Gas.

Turn down the room stat, take advantage of free insulation offer, wear more clothing.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All electric bungalow I use just 2600 units. Currently SP OES10 but in process of switch to Npower go fix 6

Heating is by two 3.5KW aircon units and an immersion heater for my DHW. I also have a stove in my living room for living area heating and is used at weekends and topped up by the aircon when really cold.
  • roobers_2
    roobers_2 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 9 July 2011 at 4:50PM
    Options
    How much do you spend (or kWh usage) per year? Last 12 months: Gas 4950 kwh, Electricity 1559 kwh. Slightly skewed due to no heating for a couple of weeks in Feb, and fridge with a broken thermostat.

What supplier are you with? Ebico

What deal are you on? EquiGas/EquiPower

Thinking of changing?
    Haven't been able to find anything that will beat Ebico's gas price.

Considering changing electricity as I could save about £60 a year, but I might just get a new fridge-freezer instead which would take 200kwh+ off my usage.

Probably won't move for now as I like Ebico's ethical policy, and I dislike split rates. In my opinion the rate/unit should go up the more you use, not down. Surely that would be a better way to encourage everyone to use less energy.

Turn off your kitchen appliances when you're not using them, so the clocks don't use electricity. I was surprised that it made a difference for me.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    midgetessa wrote: »
    I thought this might be a good idea as most of the offers and tariffs available are geared towards average and higher usage customers.

I've discovered over the years that most companies' tariffs work against us......by which I mean that one often has to pay a higher rate for the first chunk (or 'tranche' or whatever it is they call it) each quarter and then the remaining units used are charged at a much lower rate. Very often us low users don't even get out of the first 'tranche', so on average we are paying much more per unit used than a medium or high consumer.

So......

How much do you spend (or kWh usage) per year?

What supplier are you with?

What deal are you on?

Thinking of changing?

As for me, my total combined bill last year was about £350. I'm with SP on the Pay in Advance No Standing Charge tariff. With the new price increases I would expect my combined bill for this year to be about £450. Been thinking of changing to Ebico which would save me about £60 if my calculations are correct but I'm waiting to see if/when they price increase.

Same advice I give to all users whatever their consumption level - use a comparison site.

It doesn't matter how the supplier wants to structure the tariff, all that you should be interested in is the lowest annual cost of using that energy :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    For people with very low consumption, EBICO charge the same flat rate for all gas and electricity with no standing charge(Daily charge or tier system) and the same prices regardless of your method of payment.

Playing the Devil's Advocate you could argue that the discounts offered by some firms help low consumption users more than those with higher consumption. i.e. they give the same cash discount for dual fuel, payment by DD, on -line accounts etc regardless of the annual bill being £500 or £2,000.
  • chris1973
    chris1973 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 July 2011 at 8:31PM
    Options
    Swipe wrote: »
    All electric bungalow I use just 2600 units. Currently SP OES10 but in process of switch to Npower go fix 6

Heating is by two 3.5KW aircon units and an immersion heater for my DHW. I also have a stove in my living room for living area heating and is used at weekends and topped up by the aircon when really cold.

Wow thats amazing, even taking the load of one of those Aircon units into consideration, drawing 3.5kw, 2600 units per year would mean that you were only heating using them for around 62 days per year.

And thats without taking all other usage into consideration such as the 2nd aircon unit, Lights, TV, computer, Immersion etc

Is this a main residence or a second / holiday home?

What make are the Aircon units, I may need to invest in one, they seem far cheaper than running my GCH
    "Dont expect anybody else to support you, maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse, but you never know when each one, might run out" - Mary Schmich
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chris1973 wrote: »
    Wow thats amazing, even taking the load of one of those Aircon units into consideration, drawing 3.5kw, 2600 units per year would mean that you were only heating using them for around 62 days per year.

And thats without taking all other usage into consideration such as the 2nd aircon unit, Lights, TV, computer, Immersion etc

Is this a main residence or a second / holiday home?

What make are the Aircon units, I may need to invest in one, they seem far cheaper than running my GCH

The 3.5KW is the heat output rather than load input. I've never seen either unit pull more than 1.5KWh running flat out on start up. They are inverter units so on a mild day, once the temp has reached set point, they will tick over, drawing between 300 and 800watts. They are Daikin units. GCH heating heats the whole house, I don't. I use mine just heat separate rooms so the rest of the house is pretty cold in Winter which wouldn't be suitable for a family. there's just me here. The home is a rural, detached bungalow and I've never lived in a home with central heating so I know no different.
  • boingsaidzebedee
    Options
    Am in a similar position to the Op.

Spend last year combined Gas and Electric
    £284
    Monthly Direct Debit
    £25.00
    Supplier
    Scottish Power on Online 7

In process of changing to NPower fixed tariff till July 2012

Change regularly using comparison sites.
    Use Quidco to change suppliers and get cashback.

Got £140.00 to change to Scottish Power and was happy till price increases announced.
    Should get £80.00 to change to Npower and slightly cheaper rates.

Quidco and cashback have been the way to go for me.

Single,3 bedroom house,combination boiler,gas central heating.
    However have 3 very large and hairy German Shepherds which act as radiators.Windows open all year round.

Received my 6 monthly metered water bill this week----£27.50...Portsmouth Water.

So I must be quite frugal and probably smell a bit.But the dogs don't seem to mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure