Complaint to regulator and final demand

Options
AndrewAfresh
AndrewAfresh Posts: 34 Forumite
[FONT=&quot]My electricity provider massively increasing the direct debit a year after I switched to them, so I switched away and complained to the regulator that I believed British Gas deliberately set the initial DD low to lure me in. BG replied that my usage was twice the estimated level. So in the letter to the regulator I offered to make my payments up to twice the initial DD. Now BG have sent a final demand. Should I make the payment of what I offered or wait until the regulator adjudicates? Thank you for reading[/FONT]

Comments

• undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    Options
    By the Regulator do you mean Ofgem - if so they won't help you (not interested in talking the the consumer to any serious extent)

If you mean the Energy Ombudsman (not actually the regulator) then I would have expected that the account should be on hold pending their findings

That said, whilst I can sympathise with your irritation, I'm afraid that I don't think you'll get anything more than a token gesture - if you're lucky - based upon what you've posted. :(

What was their estimate based upon by the way? (eg previous usage elsewhere, just guessed & have you genuinely used twice the estimate?)
  • AndrewAfresh
    AndrewAfresh Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]I wrote to the [/FONT]Energy Ombudsman. When I signed up, I gave my usage figures in the previous 12 months and BG used this to give a monthly DD of £13. After a year, they increased the DD to £77. [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure