Augmented Reality - setting up - problem with Flash Player

Options
IDM
IDM Posts: 16 Forumite
Hello,

I have posted my question on a couple of Augmented REality forums, but they don't get a lot of visitors, so I am hoping I'll have more luck on this site.

I am going through a tutorial to create an augmented reality example that can be displayed on a website, both as part of a project and because I have been interested in AR since I first saw it being demonstrated about a year ago.

I have access to Adobe Design Premium CS5, and have downloaded Flash Builder 4 as that is what is required on the tutorial.

I have downloaded the FLARToolkit.swc.

All looks well, but when I try to debug some sample code as per the tutorial, I get the following error message
(I can't post a link to the image as a new user, but the text says:

Adobe Flash Player Not Found

Flash Builder cannot locate the required version of Adobe flash Player. You might need to install the Flash Player or reinstall Flash Builder. Do you want to try to run your application with the current version?

Adobe Flash Player Downloads (link)
)
So I followed the link on the error message and downloaded from ht tp:/ / www. adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html. I downloaded the Windows Flash Player 10.3 ActiveX control content deb-ugger (for IE) (EXE, 3.22MB).

Even after running it, the debug won't work and I can't view the image the sample code is supposed to display. Is there a better version?

I'm running a laptop with Vista.

If you can help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Comments

• S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Long shot but... are the .SWF associated with Adobe's flash player?

i.e. if you double click on a flash file (For example : flash_test.swf ) does it open it using the browser or a standalone player?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3596678
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • IDM
    IDM Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

I have definitely got flash installed, but although I downloaded the debug ger version (that word gets caught by the filter) and have uninstalled, reinstalled that and Flash Builder multiple times etc, I've run a check on the adobe site, and it says the version that is working is not a debug version.

I did some more searching, and according to kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/cpsid_83106.html
    Error "Installed Flash Player is not a de!!!!!!" | Flash Player, Flash CS5

Issue

The error "Installed Adobe Flash Player Is Not a De!!!!!!" occurs when you try to debug a project. Flash Pro CS5 is installed and you are using the standalone player (no HTML wrapper).
    Solution

Uninstall Flash Player and run the de!!!!!! player installer found at INSTALL_DIRECTORY/players/. For the stand-alone Flash Player, launch the stand-alone Flash Player found in INSTALL_DIRECTORY/players/ and open a SWF file to reassociate that version of the stand-alone Flash Player.
    Additional information

This error occurs when a release version of Flash Player was installed with the Creative Suite Flash Pro installation, or by some other means

The problem is that my laptop has been hired through my uni and the creative suite was installed by them. There is no INSTALL_DIRECTORY and the exe files for the players are in the same location as the various CS5 programs.

I will carry on trying though.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a quick word with the Uni's IT guys,
    They might be able to give you the standalone player missing from the Directory...
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure