Do I have any rights? card details on display on hacked account.

Options
I am wondering if anyone would know what rights I have regarding an online game that I played for the last three years.

I tried to sign into my account last week and was told that my details were not correct. Did the "forgotten password" thing and my details were not sent to my email account, I am no expert in things like this, I am assuming my email account was hacked. If i go to the player rankings page on the website my account is there but it now has a russian name instead of my own.

I did pay real money a few times using my debit card, and I am afraid my card details are still there.

I have sent an email to the support team who said right away they cannot do anything to help me, i cannot have the account back and if i am not happy to go to the police because it is my responsibility to keep my account safe not theirs, that is fair enough, but they wont even go into the account to check my card details are still on display.

Seeing as support will not help me, is there anyone I can contact who could help me with this? I tried consumer direct but they couldnt really help me.

Do i have any rights? support said it was my fault my account got hacked, but Im not really one for giving out my private details, i didnt ask for this to happen.

Comments

• WelshSun
    WelshSun Posts: 246 Forumite
    Options
    What website is it and where is it based??
    PM me if you want.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    WelshSun wrote: »
    What website is it and where is it based??
    PM me if you want.

no need to PM, if he posted the website then it would help others in the future

first thing to do OP is cncel the card, get on to the fraud dept of your bank and say what you said here, i think you can get your card cancelled at this time of night,
  • paper_hearts_2
    Options
    The website is dark orbit, and they are based in Germany.
  • DCFC79
    Options
    The website is dark orbit, and they are based in Germany.

id also do a virus scan of your computer, so whatever anti virus is installed run it and update it as well
  • paper_hearts_2
    Options
    I re installed windows yesterday, got a new email account etc new passwords, i refuse to play the game anymore, not wasting anymore time on it if this can happen and i get no help from their support team.
  • DCFC79
    Options
    I re installed windows yesterday, got a new email account etc new passwords, i refuse to play the game anymore, not wasting anymore time on it if this can happen and i get no help from their support team.

more importantly can you cancel your card tonight
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    How disgusting that they won't help you. I bet they have T's and C's preventing you from transferring/selling your accounts/assets in real life too. This problem could be undone if they cared enough. And sometimes it is your fault an account gets hijacked, but Sony for instance can't plead that for PSN - and if the game system devs allowed you to use a weak password, they should be at least partly responsible.

Close the card, and write a nasty report on a suitable gaming blog or two.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure